Local Talk

Bridgwater move???

(10 Posts)
Movinghome Thu 09-Jun-11 07:55:51

DH was offered a job near Bridgwater yesterday. We currently live in the Cotswolds which we love but commuting that far isn't going to really work!! I was wondering if anyone could help me out with suggestions of lovely/pretty/friendly villages to live in, (we love rural but accessible) as we don't really know the area that well. This has totally thrown us as DS is due to start at our lovely local village school in Sept, it is a fantastic school and the equally fantastic secondary school is not far either!! So good schools are high on our list of priorities. Just hope we can get him in somewhere at this late stage!!

MrsMagnolia Mon 13-Jun-11 19:31:06

I too work in Bridgwater... I travel from nearer the Devon border, because of the easy motorway access you have quite a large area to choose from, I love Wellington and the new Waitrose is a real bonus!

Movinghome Tue 14-Jun-11 19:37:45

Thank you MrsMagnolia!! I was starting to get a complex that no one wants us to move to Somerset!! smile

We've been doing abit of research on the Wiveliscombe area /Quantocks. We love walking and quaint towns/villages. We have friends who live on the Cornish/Devon border so not too far away.

Does Wellington have a good selection of shops? Do you know what the schools are like? Dies it take you long to commute? What's Bridgwater like (honestly!!)

Sorry so many questions, but it's nice to have had a response!! smile

MrsMagnolia Tue 14-Jun-11 21:39:51

I love Wellington, it's a 'proper' little town with good local traditional high street shops, lovely new waitrose and award winning fishmonger, good local farm shops etc. My commute is 25 minutes to Bridgwater. Bridgwater is an interesting town, it has quite high levels of deprivation in parts but locals are very loyal to the town, has a good town centre and some lovely buildings, the district council, Sedgemoor, covers a very diverse area, some good countryside with nice villages and easy access to seaside! I think schools generally in the area are fine, no terrible schools that I'm aware of... Wellington has 3 primaries in town and several good village schools within a couple of miles, local secondaries are good enough I think!

Movinghome Sun 19-Jun-11 21:48:51

Wellington sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to exploring the area next week and deciding where to settle!! Thank you so much for your help MrsMagnolia smile

Ormirian Sun 19-Jun-11 22:00:10

Cannington is nice and quite busy. Nether Stowey very pretty but not much there really. The countryside around is very lovely. There are some very pretty villages on the other side of the Quantocks but mostly small with very few amenities. Williton? Wiveliscome - further away - the other side of Taunton - but nice. I lived just outside Wellington for a year - beautiful but Wellington was a bit rundown IME (but that was 20 yrs ago!)

burnhammum Thu 28-Jul-11 07:47:15

I live in Burnham-on-Sea - it is a great place for children - the beach (but not the touristy part), a cinema, good swimming pool and quite a good selection of shops. Easy commute to B'water (A38 or M5). Choice of primary schools - all with a good reputation. If you want a village Brent Knoll is great - fabulous village school there. Local secondary school is on the up, or if you live in Brent Knoll you can usually get into Kings of Wessex in Cheddar. Hope this helps.

MrsZoidberg Mon 12-Sep-11 20:30:13

We live just outside Bridgwater - and our house is on the market if you're interested grin

There is a fantastic primary school nearby in Bawdrip - its called Kingsmoor, and the village we're in is quiet but accessible. Very rural.

SomersetCarer Mon 28-Jan-13 01:37:45

Did you move? Where to? Do you like it?

BoynamedSue Mon 01-Jul-13 21:18:49

I'd also be interested to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now