Local Talk

Relocating to Somerset - where to live?!

(8 Posts)
OompaLumpa Mon 16-Jan-12 09:15:51

Hi Ladies, DH has landed himself a job with Clarks in Street and we need to relocate, somewhere within commuting distance. Ideally no more than 40 mins drive away. We don't know any areas or any people and have a 7 mth old DD. I'm really looking for suggestions on villages or towns we should look at. I'm keen not to be too isolated so somewhere with some local walkable facilities if we run out of milk etc. Pub would be nice and some mum/baby activities. If we could have a reasonable journey to a swimming pool that would be fab. LO may have some special needs (having an MRI on Wednesday - gulp) so we may need to be nearish to a hospital too.
Some places that have been recommended thus far are South Petherton, Bruton, Wedmore and Taunton but would appreciate some honest feedback.
We live in Guildford at the moment but i'm a country girl at heart so if we didn't have LO would be happy to go quite rural but I think that would be unfair on her.
Thanks in advance! Debs

Hi there, did the same thing 2 years ago...exactly the same issue as my DH relocated to Clarks also!...live rurally nearish to Taunton, loving it..don't want to give out more info so publicly but would be happy to speak over email if its any help...

pipsqueakz Sat 09-Mar-13 23:36:38

Clevedon is pretty good easy access to m5 check out www.clevedonpeople.co.uk

OoooShiney Mon 11-Mar-13 13:08:19

Well Street is lovely, which is where clarks HQ are. It has a swimming pool (indoor and outdoor), great shopping wink, nice schools/college, an hour to Bath/Bristol, 30 minutes to Yeovil and 45 minutes to Taunton.

Castle Cary is neatest train station to London, about 30-45 minute drive away.

Nearby towns are Wells, Shepton Mallet, Glastonbury all nice communities and have activities for toddlers and a short commute away.

I grew up nearby and have moved closer to Bath/Bristol but still come to groups/use the pool and nice for a wander about.

I'm not sure there is a Local Editor/Ambassador for Somerset. I am a Local Ambassador for Bath, and have been updating the site over there, I do try to pop my head in over here now and then.

Feel free to PM if you have questions, or reply here and I will check back.

My DD is 2.3 and I have another on the way.

lucyfer2000 Thu 23-May-13 22:07:24

hiya!! so sorry to hijack this post. But, I am moving from Essex due to husbands job (he has been working in Bristol for the last 18 months and now looks set to stay there). I need advice on areas around the Bristol/Bath area to live. I have tried desperately to post on the local bath talk site but the link doesn't seem to work!!
Can you help me ooooShiney? - is it possible to repost this??
I can only seem to add to a thread, not start one!!
I am keen to live in the Bath area because I want something buzzy and cultural- but too big a city (like Bristol). Ideas of lovely areas would be fab. Good schools are top priority!!
Thanks so much

OoooShiney Mon 27-May-13 18:54:40

Lucyfer, only just seen your post! I will post over on the Bath site, can you view at all? Is it just posting you have issues with.

Is your DH continuing to work in Bristol?

Keynsham and Saltford are a popular choice, between the two cities and have a good atmosphere. No good on the schools though.

OoooShiney Mon 27-May-13 18:56:52

And I am on my mobile so can't repost your post in Bath as I can't copy and paste on my mumsnet app.

Might be near the laptop tomorrow night and will post for you then.

OoooShiney Mon 27-May-13 21:03:58

I am on the laptop now, will post for you over on the bath thread.

thread here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now