Local Talk

Poss moving to Devon

(7 Posts)
Mumtolittleorange Tue 10-Jul-12 09:35:49

Hello! I'm a single Mum to a 3 and 2 year old looking to make a fresh start and move to Devon from the Midlands. Looking at either South Hams / Torbay area or Exeter. Does anyone have any feedback about the area or helpful advice. I realise it's a large area but thanks anyway!!

Will be visiting on hols next week and any recommendations for places that will give me a better feel of what it might be like to live there - i.e. days / afternoons out including soft play (if it keeps on raining!!), child friendly cafes, play parks etc, rather than large tourist attractions gratefully received thank you!! We will be staying in Galmpton. Thanks smile

bagelmonkey Tue 10-Jul-12 13:47:05

If I could chose between Torbay & Exeter, I'd choose Exeter.

If you're in Torbay, I can recommend Paignton zoo, Torquay Play Cafe & Decoy Park in Newton Abbot.

Mumtolittleorange Tue 10-Jul-12 22:50:27

Thanks bagelmonkey. What do you think gives Exeter the edge? Just wondering. I don't know Exeter at all but I've heard it's a good city to live in.

bagelmonkey Wed 11-Jul-12 06:01:37

There are better shops & restaurants in Exeter.
It's better connected. Easier to get a train to London, has an airport etc. The traffic around torbay can be a nightmare, especially in the summer.
You can go to the beach at Exmouth, Sandy bay or Dawlish really easily from Exeter.
There just seems to be more going on in Exeter.

SpottedGurnard Mon 06-Aug-12 13:08:09

I have just moved to Torquay from the midlands due to DPs job. I think I would much rather be in exeter! Am finding torquay a nightmare to drive around and for shopping I would either go into Plymouth (grew up there so would go because it's familiar) or Exeter.

Have a good think about whether this is right for you and your family. There are few jobs here and they are generally min. wage. It is very remote to get anywhere else in the country- I found from the midlands I could get very far in all directions in 2 hours.

quoteunquote Thu 16-Aug-12 13:48:29

depends what you want from Devon really, Torquay couldn't be more different from the south hams,

so what do you want from Devon?

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 18:44:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now