Local Talk

Gatehouse School, E2

(17 Posts)
AlisonY Tue 15-Feb-11 15:46:07

Hi everyone

Just been reading some very old posts (2007) about Gatehouse and just wondered whether anyone had any more recent views? DS is due to start there in September and we really like the "old fashioned" nature of the discipline and structure. And I can assure you I'm no authoritarian but DS does like structure and to be stretched.

Any recent experiences anyone of Gatehouse?

Many thanks, a

MrsDe Thu 17-Feb-11 20:50:45

My LO is due to start this September as well, in the nursery. Recently I have spoken to a few mums who send their children there and the feedback is good. I think the main issue I worry about is homework - apprently there is rather a lot of it and while I am keen for my LO to be stretched I really want her to enjoy her early years and not feel pressured. Other than that I can't wait for her to start!

whatatip Mon 05-Mar-12 12:35:16

I have experience there. It is fine as a school but I wouldn't waste your money as the primary schools are all good in Tower hamlets, go and visit some. Talk to parents who send their children to the state schools and you'll find they are happy too. And they are not spending £8k a year.
It's stiflingly mono-cultural too.

sneakers Mon 05-Mar-12 13:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sneakers Mon 05-Mar-12 17:40:07

Sorry - I put too much in that post then had to do the school run.

We took our son out in Year 5 and I stopped recommending the school to people years ago.

whatatip Tue 06-Mar-12 12:03:02

My daughter came out in year 3 to go to a local (state) school.
I didn't regret it and she was happy at the new school very quickly.

sneakers Tue 06-Mar-12 13:32:23

Ah, whatatip, I might know you - a few children in my son's old class left in Year 3 to go to a local school. I've changed my name for this thread! You will be able to guess who I am or can ask around your playground to find out who else has left that class.

My son's at another not-so-local independent school and loving it. Definitely the right choice, wish we had made it sooner but hey ho.

Just a note about the Upper Juniors: most/all children (all that I've known) in the past couple of years have gotten outside tutors in Year 6 to prepare for the independent school exams, so that's an expense to consider if you need to plan. It's definitely not a place where the older children are stretched academically. I know people who have left because of bullying problems as well.

Lower Juniors gets glowing reviews though! smile

whatatip Tue 06-Mar-12 22:12:23

No you don't know me, I have been deliberately vague about timings so our children are different ages, and there are certainly no other ex-Gatehouse pupils at our school!
Very interesting what you say about the pupils paying for extra tuition, I didn't know that. That would be gutting.

On a positive note about Gatehouse, I did get the impression that at year 3 the level of maths was good, (but that was only really based on my daughter so who knows, it may just say something about her and not about the school). On the sports front, too, I liked the inter-house sports competitions at a lower level. And I got the impression that the inter-school sports competitions further up the school were good too, actually the PE in general was good compared to our current school.

welovesausagedogs Tue 06-Mar-12 22:31:26

We know a family who send their two daughters to the gatehouse. They are happy with it and the children really enjoy going to school. However the elder daughter who is 7 is very behind with her reading, and after talking to her mum, it is apparent the school is doing no extra reading with her at all. They are already paying for her to have some extra help outside school, despite having to pay school fees.

guguinhas Mon 21-Jan-13 15:43:34

hi, so are there any primary state schools you would recommend? I have registered my son with Gatehouse but they are full and waiting list is very long...

Whereisthevalium Sun 27-Jan-13 23:31:09

Whereabouts are you? There are some good primaries and some really terrible ones in tower hamlets, if you're lucky enough to get in to a good one and you can do the extra activities Gatehouse provides outside of school you may as well go for it. I think there are new catchment areas this year.

We are very happy with the Lower juniors in Gatehouse and there is not much homework so far. I can tell already the school is not stretching my child academically but it is a happy and friendly environment, which I think is also important.

thefruitmonster Wed 12-Jun-13 17:42:07

I am intrigued to find this post. With experience as a mum of the Gatehouse, I am relieved to hear, although I obviously don't want it to be the case, that other parents don't think their children are being stretched academically and have decided to take their DC out. I am wondering if any of you are willing to share why you have removed them from the school? TIA smile

Whereisthevalium Mon 24-Jun-13 23:30:55

My view is that my child's teacher is not experienced enough to know when a child can be pushed more and when a child is bored. However, they are very nurturing and I couldn't say whether the failure is typical of the whole school, we only have experience of lower juniors so far.

I am planning to move my child within the next 2/3 years because I think she will suit a more academic environment. Gatehouse talks a lot about academic success but I don't believe for one second that if they have any, it is anything to do with the teaching there. It is a lovely, friendly school though.

CatHackney Fri 28-Jun-13 16:38:58

Thanks for the helpful posts. For those seeking a more academically challenging environment, where do you recommend or where are you at least considering?

LalyRawr Wed 03-Jul-13 17:04:47

My Foster Dad worked at the school until recently.

Not sure about the educational aspect, but the staff get treated awfully.

He loved the children, parents and teachers but the senior management were basically bully's who made my FD's life awful.

I wouldn't send my daughter there even f they paid me.

GatehousePupil Mon 07-Oct-13 08:07:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Whereisthevalium Mon 09-Dec-13 09:15:14

Hmm, well, I must agree that I wouldn't recommend the school. And it definitely seems true that the headteacher doesn't care about anyone so long as the school makes money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now