Local Talk

Girlguiding - Rainbows unit in Limehouse/Stepney area with available places!

(10 Posts)
Lyilly Thu 14-Mar-13 14:52:38

In London there is currently a shortage of places due to a lack of leaders, but the unit I help lead ( 1st Stepney Green Rainbows ) is relaunching so we have places available for girls aged 5-7 to start IMMEDIATELY and are willing to start a waiting list for any girls aged 4 and under - first come, first served! We have up to 18 places available but are going on a big recruitment drive with local schools so we expect these to go fast; so please get in touch ASAP if you are interested!

Never heard of Girlguiding? See below for some information about us:

"Girlguiding is the leading charity for girls and young women in the UK. Thanks to the dedication and support of 100,000 amazing volunteers, we are active in every part of the UK, giving girls and young women a space where they can be themselves, have fun, build brilliant friendships, gain valuable life skills and make a positive difference to their lives and their communities. We build girls' confidence and raise their aspirations. We give them the chance to discover their full potential and encourage them to be a powerful force for good."

The Rainbows units cater for our youngest members - girls ages 5 to 7.

This is a fantastic opportunity for girls to meet new friends, learn new things, and have a lot of fun! Rainbows do a whole range of activities such as sports, cooking, outdoor play, crafts, songs, learning about healthy living or other cultures, trips out to parks or science museums or city farms or anything else they can thing of - most importantly, we are led by what the girls want to do. They choose our activities!

Unfortunately for child protection reasons I can't give out detailed meeting information online, but please get in touch with me via PM or register your daughter directly with https://enquiryym.girlguiding.org.uk/

~Lyilly

Rosa2020 Fri 15-Mar-13 06:58:20

Hi Lyille,

That sounds so exciting! I've just checked the website of Girlguiding:

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/home.aspx

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CRA3jBUQmlE#!

This project gives girls chance to gain confidence and to learn a lot I think. When the activities are going to be provided: during the term/weekend/holidays?

I have a 5 years old daughter, but I'm afraid the send her to these kinds of trips and letting her to do anything she wants there?
As far as I know the parents are not allowed to join the trips, right?

Lyilly Fri 15-Mar-13 11:21:48

Hi Rosa,

Meetings are weekly during term time, usually on a weekday evening. A meeting will last for around an hour, and will usually involve indoor/outdoor activities at the venue, or occasionally maybe a walk to somewhere else such as a local park.

Bigger trips outside of the usual meeting setting and further afield are organised according to the wishes and needs of each unit. For example, in a unit I used to help with we would take the Rainbows to the panto every winter! Parents often do join in with trips, as the rules require a certain number of adult helpers when we take the girls out!

Please do let me know if you have any more questions - happy to answer them for you!

Gulee Mon 18-Mar-13 18:13:13

Hi Lyille,

Can you please add a new listing on the following link about this project?

http://local.mumsnet.com/tower-hamlets/after-school-activities

Whereisthevalium Fri 19-Apr-13 21:37:13

Nobody got back to me when I enquired through the website

Gulee Fri 19-Apr-13 22:24:29

You can contact Lyilly through this website as well, she will reply.

Whereisthevalium Fri 19-Apr-13 22:27:12

Yes, thanks, I did that. She said she couldn't give me specific details and I had to go through the website. But when I did, she didn't get back to me. I guess my enquiry got lost somewhere, maybe I will try again.

Gulee Sun 21-Apr-13 23:32:31

Whereisthevalium, I hope you can find more information on the following listing about Girlguiding:
local.mumsnet.com/tower-hamlets/afterschool-youth-groups/97246-girlguiding

Whereisthevalium Mon 22-Apr-13 00:09:26

Thanks. I will call them because registering on the site didn't seem to get me anywhere. I think my dd would love Rainbows grin

Lyilly Tue 18-Jun-13 09:32:17

Hi Whereisthevalium - I just responded to your email at 1ststepneygreenrainbows@gmail.com

I can only offer my huge apologies for the delay, there were problems with email forwarding and notifications so I didn't see your message earlier. I'm very sorry you've been having such problems with the JoinUs site too, that should have sent you through to pop up on my account for our unit on the system, and I'll be sure to flag up these problems with the higher ups for our area to make sure others aren't falling through the cracks too.

If there is anybody else reading this who is interested for a girl aged 5-7 (or 4 and turning 5 soon), please email 1ststepneygreenrainbows@gmail.com and I will get back to you asap - have fixed the forwarding problem now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now