Local Talk

Moving to Huddersfield

(15 Posts)
whittle74 Tue 03-May-11 08:17:48

Hi

I'm Clare, I have 2 children ages 5 & 6 and will be moving to the Huddersfield area within the next 4-6 months. I am trying to find an area which has the village/community feel but has new(ish) houses.

I wonder if anyone can help me?

Many Thanks

Clare

boorlw Tue 03-May-11 22:50:07

hi clare
my partner and i are also looking into moving to huddersfield. we have a one year old and are clueless as to which areas to look at. community is really important to us too ( non existant where we are now) and schools as well. i've done a bit of research and lindley seems to be nice with a couple of good schools. So if anyone lives there i'd be interested to know too!

boo

fatzak Tue 10-May-11 22:19:47

Hi Claire and Boo. I live in Huddersfield and would be happy to answers any questions you have! My parents live in Lindley and it does have a very good primary school (very academic)

Which side of Huddersfield are you looking at Clare? We are on the Wakefield side which has lots of really lovely villages and really good schools. Are you tied to an area for work?

Abbicob Wed 15-Jun-11 12:46:33

I am in Highburton and it has a great village atmosphere and feel to it.
Local schools are also very good

DeepPurple Wed 15-Jun-11 12:51:32

I'm in Clayton West. It has a lovely village feel and isn't too far from the motorway.

BelleDameSansMerci Wed 15-Jun-11 12:57:26

DeepPurple - you also have the little railway! grin

DeepPurple Sun 26-Jun-11 22:00:07

I haven't been to the light railway. I'll have to check it out soon!

I'm in Holmfirth, which is lovely. The schools are very good and it has lots of nice pubs, a couple of good butchers, a fantastc fishmonger and plenty of other nice gifty type shops (quite touristy because of last of the summer wine).

Other Holme Valley villages are pretty good, including Honley and Meltham. If you're looking nearer the M62 then Golcar and Slaithwaite are nice too.

Everyone thinks Huddersfield is a bit grim, but it really isn't. Much nicer and more attractive than a lot of northern towns

backofbeyond30 Mon 01-Aug-11 19:28:35

We live in Marsden, moved from Wakefield in Nov 2010 and I would NEVER move away. It is stunning - right on the edge of Saddleworth Moors. I don't think i will ever get bored of waking up in the morning to sheep moseying down the road lol.

There are some new builds which are lovely and the rent is very affordable.

fatzak Sat 17-Sep-11 16:29:03

Hi Clare - just found this post again - have you move to Huddersfield yet?

Deeppurple - we're hopefully moving to Clayton West!

DeepPurple Tue 04-Oct-11 14:02:44

fatzac - it's a lovely place!

fatzak Mon 10-Oct-11 14:29:10

Ooh wondered if you'd replied DeepPurple! Do you have children at the school? Just been for a look round with a view to moving DS1. Hoping to move in just under two weeks and look what I'm doing on my day off instead of packing!!!

Hd8Sunshine Tue 11-Oct-11 22:29:30

Hi Clare, How are you getting on with your hunt? narrowed it down to a village?

Hayleyaustin Thu 08-Aug-13 13:02:28

Hi
I'm moving to Huddersfield in September due to my husbands job is in Bradford. I'm moving from northants and will not know a single person. We have found a house to rent in kirkheaton. I also need advice on what there is to do etc.

danithegirl Tue 27-Aug-13 00:55:27

Hi Hayley,

I'm in Almondbury, which is not too far away from Kirkburton. I'm 26 and have 3 DC - 5, 2 and 6 months. I still don't really know anyone round here and I've been living here for 6 years blush

What kind of recommendations were you looking for? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now