Local Talk

Welcome to Wallingford & Surrounding Area MN!

(37 Posts)
Capreece Sat 12-Mar-11 11:43:34

Hi and welcome to the new MN local page!

I'm the Tsarina for Wallingford, but I'd also like to invite MNers from the surrounding area to join in here to try and create the most vibrant and active local group possible.

Let me know if you're aware of any upcoming events you think would interest other members and please join the meet up section if you're interested in meeting some other MNers in the area!

I look forward to hearing from you all :-)

Lottee79 Fri 06-May-11 20:11:31

Hi,

I have recently moved to the area from a tiny little village in Nottinghamshire. I have two boys aged 6 and 4. We live in Didcot. Would be lovely just to chat with people. Am missing my friends from home quite a bit. So far the playground hasn't been overly friendly.

Probably posting this in completely the wrong place, am sorry if I have.

Thank you :-)

Reggie100 Sat 07-May-11 11:00:19

Hi Lottee79 - do you have transport, if so, it might be worth trying the playground in Cholsey (or one stop on the train from Didcot). It has equipment for the younger children but also things like a zip wire for the slightly older ones and generally lots of friendly Mums around.

I don't know much about Didcot so not too sure about activites or good places to meet other Mums there (although I'm sure there are many), however Wallinford and Cholsey both have many friendly groups. Hope this helps! :-)

MartaBlunt Mon 13-Jun-11 11:11:53

Hi there!

My family (husband and 3 kiddies) and I are in process of moving to Ewelme from Northamptonshire and I would love to get to meet and know mums/kids/families in the area. I also am desparate for some loclal info - mest surgeries, dentists, where do we go to swimming lessons, ballet, football etc. Can anyone help?
My kids are 8, 5 and 3 and will be attending Ewelme primary school and pre-school.
It would be lovely to get involved in the local life soon and looking forward to chatting!
MartaBlunt

Mark863 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:00:31

Hi MartaBlunt

I may be able to help on the football front as I am a coach with Benson United (just around the corner from Ewelme). I can pass on contact details for coaches for your two eldest if you would like?

ps, the Shepherds Hut is ok if you have not been in there yet. My personal favourite family pub is the Three Horseshoes in Benson village as there is plenty of room outside for the kids to run around. The food is great too!

jasmine51 Fri 08-Jul-11 17:36:16

Hi
New first time mum near Benson looking for active things to do with my little bundle of joy. I have heard about a buggy fitness walking group in Wallingford, a singing and signing group in Corwmarsh and a baby massage course in Cholsey....but havent been able to track down any details or contacts for these - does anyone know more or have any other suggestions of things I can do beyond just a chat n cake meet up?

Jammyrella Fri 08-Jul-11 17:54:08

Lottee, I am in Didcot. I have one DD, aged 4. Happy to answer any Diddy questions, or even to meet for a coffee if you'd like?

Capreece Wed 27-Jul-11 08:49:42

Hi Jasmine - there's loads of groups for mums with small babies. I suggest you look at Wallingford PACT (will try a link in a minute) as they have a large number of free groups you can attend weekly.

The buggy fitness group is very popular - I've met the woman who runs it and she's lovely. There's also a post-natal Pilates group where you can bring your small baby along and several baby swimming groups in various places (Didcot Wave and one at a local private school on Saturday mornings).

There is also a free NCT social group meet up on Tuesday mornings, but it's mostly for mums with babies who haven't started walking yet - how old is yours?

Right, here's the link for Wallingford PACT and I've copied a bit of info off that site for you below:-

-----
We are the Wallingford Children’s Centre Team and are here to provide a wide range of services for all families with children up to school age. We offer a weekly programme of sessions where you will find a fun, friendly atmosphere for you and your children to enjoy. Our Pop in and Play sessions are very informal and also a great opportunity to come along and meet other Parents and Carers in your local area.

We run a range of sessions including Pop in and Play, Physical fun, Young Parents Lunch Club, Little Stars (an SEN specific group) and Bumps and bundles. We also work closely with our local Early Years settings and services such as Adult and Family Learning to deliver a wide range of courses. During our sessions we offer a variety of services which include Health Visitors, Family Support Workers and Citizen Advice Bureau workers for advice and support.
-----

I'm afraid I don't have as much information about activities for older children as I'm still only expecting my first baby at the moment, but the woman in the Information Centre in the centre of Wallingford is immensely helpful and has all sorts of brochures and leaflets for activities going on in the area. Definitely worth having a word with her.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if you'd like more info on anything I've mentioned :-)
x
Capreece

whizzyrocket Wed 10-Aug-11 15:11:15

I'm another one moving to the area and wondering what to do with myself. We move to RAF Benson on 20th Sept.. and I'm expecting my first baby on 5th Nov. I'd love it if anyone nearby wanted to meet up (obviously post-move!) or if anyone has any groups they particularly recommend for those with babies.

Sezzy100 Thu 11-Aug-11 21:13:55

Hi,

NCT classes in Wallingford were worth it- not because of what they tell you about what to expect re: the birth but because of the friends you make. My grp still meet up weekly and our littles ones are all between 9-10 months old now. It's been great.
Also would recommend Baby Sensory in Brightwell Cum Sotwell but it's £6 a session. There are lots of things on at Woodcote- a music grp on a Tuesday morning (free) and a Stay & Play (Thurs am for when they are a little older). I think RAF Benson also has a baby clinic and grp. Several of my NCT mums are on the base.
Most churches also have free baby grps too- good for support and tea....
I had my baby at the JR in OXford- although had wanted to use Wallingford but due to complications couldn't. The JR were fantastic and my little one spent a week in the SCBU where the staff were amazing. I had a natural birth with TENS (highly recommend) and gas& air and I was fine but if you want more than this then the JR is for you.
If we have a second I'm def planning on Wallingford again.
Hope this helps.
x

Capreece Mon 12-Sep-11 14:14:52

I haven't been to NCT classes (like you they're a bit out of my price range) but have already made some good friends at the free groups I go to for mums and mums to be.

I know a lot of women recommend the NCT classes for making friends, but I just wanted to point out that they're not the only option.

Sharon7802 Wed 19-Oct-11 16:33:10

Hi,
I live in East Hagbourne. We've been here a few years but there aren't many new mums around with small babies. I'm an 'older' mum (39) and there are even fewer of those around here! I'm in danger of going insane and climbing the walls so if anyone would like to meet up and make friends with myself and my little 10 week old bundle, Henry, that would be great. In the mean time I am going to check out the link that Capreece posted above.
Thanks.
Sharon

Jammyrella Thu 20-Oct-11 12:31:58

Hi Sharon, I'm just along the road in Didcot. I have a 4 year old, but also an "older" mum at almost 41. Our LOs may be different ages, but happy to meet and can hopeflly give you ideas of local groups etc if you need that kind of thing? I also have a couple of friends in the Hagbournes so may be able to introduce you to them?

louisedixon Sun 13-Nov-11 19:41:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

H1979 Sun 08-Jan-12 21:28:27

Hi all. My name is Hayley and I am 32 years old. I recently moved to Wallingford from Henley in July. I am originally from Nottingham. I live with my fiancé and 11 year old son.
I would like to learn about antenatal classes in the area and hopefully meet up with some more mums to be. :-)

Capreece Mon 09-Jan-12 07:21:13

Hi Hayley! Can I recommend the PACT group on a Thursday morning? Great way to meet other mums in Wallingford and it's free smile

H1979 Mon 09-Jan-12 07:52:15

Thank you Capreece. I will have a look. smile

Capreece Mon 09-Jan-12 08:04:08

You're welcome. There's a free NCT-run one on Tues mornings, too, but it's just outside town at the Mongewell nursery and may be harder to get to w/o transport - do you have a car? Starts at 10am if you're interested.

I may even see you at one or both the groups if Sproglet still hasn't decided to put in an appearance... <sigh> (am 39+4)

H1979 Mon 09-Jan-12 09:37:11

Hi, yes I have a car. when I start maternity leave I will come along. I'm 23 weeks. Not long for you now. Do you know if you having a boy or a girl?

Capreece Mon 09-Jan-12 17:18:28

Yes, we know, but we're keeping it to ourselves! Not long and we can announce DOB, weight and name, too - can't wait! When does your mat leave start?

H1979 Mon 09-Jan-12 19:47:11

How exciting for you. I bet you cannot wait now. I think I might start maternity at 37-38 weeks depending on if I opt for a c-section or not which will be scheduled before my due date.
I had an emergency c-section with my son 11 years ago so I have to decide if I want a VBAC or another c-section. My son got stuck in my pelvis before.
I work 24 hours a week in henley as a private PA so its not a physical job hence the reason to stay as long as possible. I'm also self-employed so no maternity pay for me sad
When did your leave start? smile

Capreece Tue 10-Jan-12 14:00:46

Just before Christmas. I'm self-employed too, but because I've been paying my class 2 NI contributions I'm entitled to Maternity Allowance - you will be too if you've been paying NI (and you can make back payments if necessary, to catch up). Definitely worth looking into...

H1979 Wed 11-Jan-12 19:39:50

Thank you for the information Capreece. I will research it and apply as I pay my NI. [SMILE]

H1979 Thu 12-Jan-12 10:46:03

Hi again,

When should i apply for maternity allowance? I am due on May 8th. smile

lhickman Sun 08-Jul-12 07:15:36

Hey, I am expecting my second little boy in November and wondering if anyone can recommend any good pregnancy classes for second time mums! I did NCT with my first but don't really want to do this again, looking maybe at pregnancy yoga or something to help me relax from looking after an active toddler! Would also like to meet other mums due around the same time, I live in Bensonx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now