Local Talk

Upper Leytonstone

(12 Posts)
stokefest Tue 31-May-11 22:05:29

Hello, I'm looking for words of wisdom from others who have made the move to Upper Leytonstone. We live in Stoke Newington, and love it, but cannot afford to buy a house here. We've pretty much decided on Gwyn Jones primary school for our DS and I liked the feel of Upper Leytonstone when we looked around but I need to be sure that's the right thing to do for my sanity's sake before we make the move! DP is uber relaxed about the area but more concerned about the school. Any thoughts?

WearegoingonaKwazihunt Fri 10-Jun-11 22:40:46

I have a friend with a DD at Gwyn Jones and she seems very happy with it. They are moving out of the area, but feel sad to be leaving the school. She has only done 1.5 terms so not long.
Look at the catchment area for Gwyn Jones though because it is not huge and I believe it has a mini catchment area. It is also very popular, although I believe they are going to a 2 form entry now.

Upper Leytonstone is nice and has some lovely houses.

I expect Leytonstone will feel very different to Stoke Newington, but it is a friendly place.

CharlyH Mon 13-Jun-11 13:31:39

Leytonstone is pretty different to SN but it really depends on what you are looking for.....

I have lived in Leytonstone for a few years now. Always found it friendly and relaxed. There are a lot of lovely houses on pretty, tree lined streets. There are a few good restaurants and cafes. A bit lacking in good pubs but there is new stuff opening all the time (Red Lion pub being re-opened this week).

What is it you are worried about in particular?

Good luck with your move and hope your DS settles in to school well.

Adair Wed 15-Jun-11 22:31:53

We moved to Walthamstow from Stokey. No regrets! Los of ex-Stokey round here (Lloyd park area). Dd's school lovely (RA).

stokefest Thu 23-Jun-11 12:28:16

Thanks for everyone's responses. We're moving on 1st August as we love the area, it seems relaxed, the streets are lovely and we can afford to buy somewhere next year. I think I was more worried how I'd feel about moving away from friends and having everything we wanted on our doorstep on Church Street than concerns about Leytonstone itself. But, note to self, there is life beyond Stoke Newington ;-)

Adair Thu 23-Jun-11 21:29:37

Check out the Hornbeam Cafe and Organic Lea.

CharlyH Sun 26-Jun-11 20:15:42

It is always a bit daunting moving away from friends but public transport links are good in Leytonstone so you won't be far away. Also, I am sure you will meet some nice people when you move.

I walked past Gwynn Jones school today and they had a big banner promoting a summer fete, early July I think.

stokefest Mon 27-Jun-11 19:54:26

Thanks Charly, we'll head to the school fair, and Adair, I've checked out the websites for Hornbeam Cafe and Organic Lea, and can't thank you enough for the tips! Any more local knowledge you think of, please feel free to PM me!

Adair Mon 27-Jun-11 20:03:24

E17 Art Trail
Great stretch of charity shops from oxfam (nr st james st) to Wilkinsons on Walthamstow high st
Ye old rose and crown (walthamstow)
le Delice cafe (walthamstow)
Brooks Farm (and fab adventure playground)
Haven't been to the leisure Lagoon yet
www.walthamforest.gov.uk has a great thing called My Place where you can put in your postcode and see local parks etc...
Am still discovering!!

How old is your ds?

Woodlands Tue 28-Jun-11 14:10:26

There's also the Leytonstone Arts Trail, which you'll be a bit late for this year: http://www.leytonstoneartstrail.org/.

laylala Thu 01-Mar-12 13:33:45

I used to live in Upper Leytonstone and Stokey, moving back to Leytonstone hopefully soon..
Dont know if anyone can recommend any child minders in that area?
We have see the usual nurseries but want to consider more options.

Also, the North Star is a lovely spot!

pandypops Tue 06-Mar-12 13:18:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now