Local Talk

House and Area Advice

(6 Posts)
Emmaybe Wed 11-Jul-12 23:16:06

Hello,

I am new to this site and hoping to be new to the area too! My husband and I have started our property search in Walthamstow. We dont really know the area but have been googling and wandering around for a while now. I understand that the village and borders are prime. Other areas we are considering are Coppermill lane area, St James' Park...? I am worried though about schools. I dont have a child but I am pregnant and we want to buy somewhere to stay for a few years at least so catchment areas are important.
I have read that Henry Maynard and Greenleaf are the best but where else would be ok? I find it hard to work out catchment areas too.
Our budget is £300 max and we would like a house with garden, period features and not too far from tube. I realise this budget and requirments will rule out the village. Any advice, info or tips from other mums to be would be really appriciated! My head is spinning!
Thanks Emma

Do you mean £300K? I hope so, £300 won't get you vary far grin. Sorry I can't help, just bumping the thread for you.

Pumpernikel Thu 12-Jul-12 19:53:36

Hi Emma

Coppermill seems to be becoming really popular. Coppermill primary is supposed to be good and the new St James street part of the market on a Saturday is great

Lots of good roads around Greenleaf although alot of the houses around there are probably over £300,000 (but are a really good size) and close to William Morris gallery and Lloyd Park, but you should be able to find something. Also worth looking around Lloyd Park although it's a bit further to the station

Have you thought about looking at the area further up from Coppermill and towards Blackhorse Road station? Lots of nice roads off of Pretoria Avenue and Stoneydown appears to be a good school. Lots of 2/3 bedroom Victorian houses which seem to go for between £250,000 to £300,000

Good luck with your search and welcome to Walthamstow

Emmaybe Wed 25-Jul-12 09:27:12

Thanks so much that's really helpful! Our search continues. Fingers crossed we will find something soon.
X.

mayhew Wed 25-Jul-12 16:15:38

The Coppermill area has great access to the marshes which have steadily improved over the 20 yrs we've been going. Great for walking, running, cycling, dog walking. Also cafes! You can go all the way down to Bow and beyond or up to Hertfordshire. And it looks like a big splosh of Lottery money is coming to make it nicer still.

sallybash Mon 20-Aug-12 13:44:34

Hi

Have you looked the other side of shernall st from "the village" in walthamstow, houses much cheaper (and bigger) there but still henry maynard catchment if you buy on right roads and st mary's also going to be based there from sep 2013. A bit far from the tube but v close to wood st

Apparently Kirsty and phil will be showcasing walthamstow in Nov this year on location location so that may affect prices a bit once the programme has gone out in the short term.

The stow is a lovely place for families so a big welcome to you! if you want any more info feel free to pm me.

good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now