Local Talk

Primary schools in Walthamstow/Leytonst one

(3 Posts)
herbaceous Fri 14-Sep-12 08:57:39

Hi there

My DS has only just turned three, but scarily we have to choose a primary school for him by January. And as he's my PFB, I'm having a panic! When we bought the house we weren't really thinking about catchment areas, foolishly, and find ourselves on the cusp of a few, but not sure we'd be guaranteed a place at any of them.

The school I really want him to go to is Henry Maynard, along with every bugger in the 'stow', but we're right on the edge of this year's catchment so might not make it next year.

Our other nearest school is Edinburgh. Does anyone have any experience/tales about this one? Based on not much, it seems quite 'other side of the tracks', and has a much lower academic attainment than HM, though gets a 'good' Ofsted. Though that was before it expanded.

Others possibly in the running would be Barclay, in Leytonstone, and Thomas Gamuel.

Any info on any of these schools, catchment areas, what to look for, etc etc would be gratefully received!

psimonk Tue 23-Oct-12 22:43:57

A. Worry less- nearly all schools in the area are OK.

B. Have friends at Edinburgh. They seem happy.

C. Look for a school that suits you and your child - feel and Head far more important than Ofsted.

ElfLady Tue 18-Dec-12 17:20:45

My DTDs (year 6) and DS (year 3) are all at St. Saviour's off Markhouse Road, - which failed its ofsted and has doubled in size since they've been there. It's now one year into a complete change of leadership, is out of special measures and results show it should be heading for 'outstanding'. It is a church school but because of the increased capacity you probably wouldn't have any trouble getting in. All the best. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now