Local Talk

Lloyd Park E17 - Warner homes, planning, covenants etc?

(6 Posts)
RefugeeFromStokey Mon 26-Nov-12 13:53:03

(Sorry for cross posting, I put this on Property/DIY last night but have had no responses)

We're thinking of offering on a house in Lloyd Park area just north of the park (Douglas Ave). It's one of the old Warner Homes and although this one is freehold I understand lots in the area are leasehold and most of the land in the area is still held by the Warner family.

We've had our fingers burned on a previous abortive purchase (not in Walthamstow) with restrictive covenants on the property preventing business use. Since my DP runs a business from home fixing laptops this turned out to be a dealbreaker. It strikes us there's a risk of them in this type of estate also and we can't really face having an offer accepted and spending time and money just to find this out along the line and have to pull out again.

The agent blithely assured me there was nothing like that to worry about but I don't really trust him to know one way or another. Anyone live in the area willing to say if there's anything like that in their deeds?

Also: planning. From a quick skim of council website it doesn't seem to be in a conservation area but a look at satellite images on Google seems to show very few loft conversions/extensions. Is there anything we should know that might stop us doing either?

eskacy Fri 28-Dec-12 23:21:50

Not sure if this will help you now but I live on Douglas Ave and have a Warner house. Ours is leasehold (and was a right mare) but is complicated. Freehold should be fine, as it only stipulates you cant have a fish shop or something on the land. We have a facebook page too (Lloyd park area) if you want to come say hello. Loads of loft conversions btw (and should be totally fine if you are freehold?).
Ps we moved from Stokey too and love it here...

RefugeeFromStokey Tue 19-Mar-13 21:34:36

This is really great, thank you! We made an offer in the end, hoping to exchange contracts in the next week or so. I will pop over to that FB page you mention, although am too scared of putting a hex on it to do so until we've exchanged!

awnty Thu 21-Mar-13 21:45:39

we are in the process of moving to this area also and in our garden and the ones next to us are maybe 6 foot concrete posts, right in the middle. they have foundations it seems of at least 5 ft and seem to be reinforced with metal what's that all about? havy washing on line? are they impossible to get rid of? if you cut them down will they grow back?? don't even know what to google to investigate.

awnty Thu 21-Mar-13 21:46:38

you probably know by now but no frying fish, selling alcohol or using as an asylum.

RefugeeFromStokey Fri 22-Mar-13 15:43:43

Fortunately, none of those things are on our list of Things To Do in New House, awnty, so we're happy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now