Local Talk

Nuchal scan at Whipps Cross

(7 Posts)
E11Mummy Thu 24-Jan-13 05:27:41

When pregnant with dc1, Whipps Cross had a policy of only giving a nuchal scan to women 37 and above, so we ended up getting it done privately. Does anyone know if this is still the policy?

MrsDeVere Fri 25-Jan-13 21:47:13

I would assume it is down to higher rates of Down Syndrome in older mothers. Screening tends to be aimed at high risk groups.
You could have had mine. I didn't want mine and they booked me in twice regardless for DCs 4 & 5.

Babygardener Sun 27-Jan-13 22:59:30

Whipps offers all women at all ages a nuchal scan with associated blood test so long as they present in time. That doesn't mean thay all want one! It is ok to say to the sonographer that you just want a dating scan without the nuchal screen.

Of course there are a few women who want no scans at all. That is ok.

MrsDeVere Sun 27-Jan-13 23:21:15

Do they do the blood test on everyone baby?

I didn't have any tests. They still booked me in and got very shirty when I refused.

I only wanted the dating scan and the anomaly one they do at around 20 weeks.

Babygardener Mon 28-Jan-13 09:33:28

There is a blood test for the nuchal screen specifically, to make it more reliable. There are also the other usual pregnancy blood tests.

Some staff are not used to women who are non-conformist……it doesn't mean you have to conform. We're working on it!

E11Mummy Mon 28-Jan-13 19:22:53

So by the sounds of it, Whipps does offer a nuchal scan to those under 37 now. That is excellent news, thank you ladies.

Babygardener Mon 28-Jan-13 19:34:55

E11, if you are pregnant now it is useful to know that you do not need a GP appt to get referred. You can go directly into WX antenatal clinic mon- fri and self refer directly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now