Local Talk

Honeywell vs. Belleville primary school SW11 - opinions please

(9 Posts)
audrey01 Thu 31-May-12 00:17:44

I would appreciate a bit of advice on these two schools: Honeywell or Belleville. Both are outstanding, so which one would you go for and why?
As far as I know, Honeywell always had the better reputation of the two, but is it down to high teaching standards or more to do with children being tutored intensively on the side.
Also, why they decided on "no uniform" policy?
Any current or past experiences gretly appreciated. Thanks!

QueenEdith Thu 31-May-12 10:33:07

I've left the area, so you will probably want to take more heed of any pots with more up to date info.

Honeywell has the longer-standing outstanding reputation, which is why people think of it first. Belleville had a new head about a decade ago, and turned the school around (before that I was distinctly second best, with huge admissions footprint). But I has been consistently outstanding for some years now. I'd say it is the one with the buzz, Honeywell sometimes seems a bit smug and resting on its laurels.

Children are tutored at either/both if their parents are aiming for private school transfer, which (before the opening of Bolingbroke) was a popular option as it was a bit of a black hole for secondaries.

You need to live very, very close to these schools to get a place. Our old address used to be a shoe-in for Belleville, and a good chance of a late start via waiting list to Honeywell. I think people would laugh if you said you were trying for either from there now.

audrey01 Mon 04-Jun-12 15:48:51

Thank you for your post, QueenEdith.

Anyone else with children at these two schools care to comment?

NightingaleZoo Sat 10-Nov-12 20:18:47

I just visited both schools this week at their open days. Honeywell had a very hip and cool vibe with some very enthusiastic and relaxed teachers. Belleville on the other hand was very business like and I feel it may provide more up-to-date opportunities to its students. The school clubs were very impressive there...

Both schools are great of course, and even more so now with the prospect of feeding into the Bollingbroke Academy, but I do think they have slightly different approaches. The staff at Honeywell seemed very happy to be there, and the Heads were very approachable. Many worry about the numbers at Belleville now that they are a 7-form entry (versus 3-form at Honeywell), but I think with the type of management they have there, it isn't a problem. Just my opinion..

NorthbyNorthcote Tue 13-Nov-12 20:22:24

Just to correct the last post - Belleville is 4 form entry, not 7!! And the site is split now so 3 form entry at Webbs and 1 form at Meteor. So the worry in overcrowding that was happening with past bulge years is hopefully contained. Don't forget Belleville is now an Academy too, so should be able to withstand any future pressure from the LA to increase numbers or expand in-site.

NightingaleZoo Wed 14-Nov-12 23:40:56

Thanks NorthbyNorthcote - yes, 7 form entry would be crazy! Does anyone know how the split works i.e when you are offered a place do you know which site you will be attending?

NorthbyNorthcote Thu 15-Nov-12 12:04:59

This is from the Wandsworth brochure on admissions:

"Admission arrangements for Belleville Primary School (Academy)
Belleville school operates on two sites. 90 reception children will be educated at the Webbs Road site and 30 reception children will be educated at the Meteor Street site.
If there are more applications than places for a place at Belleville school, children will be admitted in the order set out on this page. [ie sen / looked after, then siblings, then distance] Where priority is determined by straight line distance from home to school, all measurements will be made to the Webb’s Road site.
After places have been offered and accepted, the school will ask parents to state at which site they would prefer their child to be educated. Where there are more preferences for a site than there are places available at that site, the Governing Body will give priority for each site using the order in which applicants were offered places at the school under the published admission criteria [ie sen / looked after, then siblings, then distance.] The Governing Body will ensure, as far as is possible, that siblings are educated at the same site. Applicants offered a place at the school after 1 July 2013, when class lists must be finalised, will be educated at whichever site has a place available at the time the offer is made."

NightingaleZoo Thu 15-Nov-12 15:58:05

Thanks NorthbyNorthcote !

SusanSW11 Thu 10-Jan-13 18:57:04

Sorry I'm new to the UK as well as the community, and wonder if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me what "7 form entry", etc. means. I toured Honeywell today & am very eager to see Belleville as well, but it seems their next Open Day is TBD. Does anyone know if Belleville's 2 sites are equally equipped? Also, what are the benefits of being an academy vs. a foundation school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now