Getting started as self employed

(4 Posts)
eshuna Thu 21-Jul-16 00:22:54

After maternity leave I couldn't bear to leave my so to return to work. Although I returned on a p/t basis I decided to leave at the end of my fixed term contract. I have now started working as self employed as a domestic cleaner with an agency in Rugby but decided that I might as well work as a private domestic cleaner/ sole trader. The problem is getting my name out there and getting my own customers. I am insured and have done a police check. I have created a Facebook page, have been distributing leaflets and handing business cards but nothing yet. I am running out of ideas on what else to do. I am hard working, honest and reliable but I don't how else to set myself apart from all the competition out there. I have considered creating a web page but I don't know how to go about it. I am willing to work at a lower rate to begin with which I have put on the Facebook page but still nothing. Any suggestions please.

LaurelCake Wed 24-Aug-16 21:35:59

I don't have any experience with this, but if I wanted a cleaner I would ask close friends if they can recommend anyone - cleaners they've had themselves or who have been recommended to them by their close friends. The main concern is finding someone reliable, thorough and trustworthy. You should emphasise those key traits in your advertising.

Put adverts in the local newsletter-type booklets (like parish magazines). Emphasise that you are Local. Initially, people are more likley to trust that you will do a good job if they know you are a Local girl and/or if they know where you live.

Find a way to get good references if you don't have any (even if initially it's a friend helping you out). Get your friends to recommend you to their friends. Perhaps clean their houses for free as a one-off and get them to pass on the good word about your skills!

crunched Wed 24-Aug-16 22:15:47

I am in Warwickshire and need a cleaner but I live the other side of Warwick so I'm thinking that's too far for you sad.
I recently got a card advertising someone's services attached to the Avon magazine which I thought was a good idea and then the ironing service I used gave me a card - both of these seemed to target a potential market...female, too busy to shop etc.
(Of course, both of these people turned me down when they heard about my crumbling old house, two hairy dogs, three unruly teens etc.)
Good Luck

kaleyredmond Thu 22-Sep-16 21:59:08

Do you have a local buy and sell site? I have seen alot advertised on there also feel free to head over to our facebook page and advertise yourself on there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now