Local Talk

New to Wigan

(13 Posts)
welshdragon01 Mon 25-Jun-12 18:52:00

Has anyone given birth this year at Wigan maternity?

I am asking this for 2nd time as no one is responding to any of my postings.

ISpyPlumPie Mon 25-Jun-12 19:05:32

Not this year sorry. Did in 2009 though. Had a pretty good experience overall. I somehow managed to fluke a private room though and only stayed one night so didn't experience the post-natal ward first hand, and I have heard mixed things about it.

I'm considering a hb this time, but if that doesn't work out and I end up going back to RAEI I won't be too worried/upset about it.

When are you due?

Sasally Sun 01-Jul-12 10:40:31

Hi I'm pretty new to Wigan too. I am due 21st August with our first baby. I'm 34 and looking for friendly faces...

I'm aiming for a home birth but will end up at Wigan. I know a few people who have had babies there and not heard anything negative. I noticed a few comments on netmums about the ward being a bit dodgy... however no one has backed that up.

Good luck with everything - when are you due?

Ploom Sun 01-Jul-12 10:49:38

I lived in Wigan until 2009 & had 2 of my dc there. Realise its a few years ago but I had great care both times & found the ward & labour suites really clean. The ward was busy both times but I still got all the care I (and the babies) needed.

Hope it all goes well for you.

ISpyPlumPie Mon 02-Jul-12 21:46:15

Welcome to Wigan Sasally smile

PukeCatcher Sat 07-Jul-12 23:08:12

Me, me, me, I have - what do you need to know?

Bazyboots Fri 13-Jul-12 23:14:43

I had my first in Sept 09 and no complaints. I'm due on 30th Aug and am going back to Wigan.

TheDetective Fri 13-Jul-12 23:24:44

I'm in Wigan too, am due in November, but having a homebirth, am booked at Wigan though.

What were you wanting to know, anything specific, as I might be able to help!

ISpyPlumPie Fri 13-Jul-12 23:52:32

The Detective - I'm due the beginning of Dec and planning a homebirth too! Have you been to the talk yet? We didn't make it to the June one as DS was ill, and I understand the next one is not until September.

TheDetective Sat 14-Jul-12 00:03:10

I didn't know there was a talk! Where/when is it!

I might go, for DP! If he wants to!

Where abouts in Wigan are you? I'm in the Hawkley Hall/Marus Bridge area.

ISpyPlumPie Sat 14-Jul-12 09:29:30

They are in a different place each quater and the next one is going to be in Ashton, but they haven't fixed the actual date or venue yet. Think you are meant to get an invite if you've booked a home birth. I was going to wait until after the talk to book it as I've got loads of questions, but will prob book it now anyway- can always cancel if I change my mind!

I'll chase it up if I've not heard by the beginning of September and let you know.

I'm the other side of Wigan -in the Golborne/Abram area.

TheDetective Sat 14-Jul-12 23:01:01

No one has mentioned anything to me - but then I'm having a homebirth against advice, so probably not wanting me to go ;)

Thanks, if you can let me know, would be great for DP to go along to! Plus I want to know about the availability of birth pools for homebirth!

ISpyPlumPie Sat 14-Jul-12 23:13:34

Aparently, they have four pools (one for each of the midwifery team areas) and the pools themselves are free to borrow, but you need to buy a lining for 25 pounds. If you don't end up opening the lining (eg if you decide not to have a hb afterall) then they won't charge you anything. Also, if the pool in your area is in use they will try to get one from another team but if all four are likely to be out around your due date they'll try and let you know so you can sort something else out.

As you can see, I took my chance to ask some of my other questions when I rang up to see about the date of the next talk grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now