Local Talk

Anyone living in Wigan/Ashton In Makerfield?

(23 Posts)
gemmac1 Sat 17-Oct-09 12:16:12

Hi everyone Im new to mumsnet and was just wondering is anybody else in the Wigan area?

BethAndHerBrood Mon 16-Nov-09 21:01:56

Hi, i've only just noticed this! I live in Ashton. It's a hotbed of glamour and excitement, innit??!!

I spend a lot of time in haydock, at costa!

alkar Mon 16-Nov-09 21:03:23

I'm in Golborne smile

Bellared Tue 17-Nov-09 22:13:24

I'm in Leigh. Not too far.

Alkar, Love the Wigan Rugby sleepsuit. we got DS a Warriors strip cos he was born at RAEI.

gemmac1 Wed 18-Nov-09 08:14:36

Oh yeah.... Ash Vegas is full of excitment. Me and dd seem to spend all day just wandering round Aldi and Quality Save. Dont know any other mums in the area (sad)

alkar Wed 18-Nov-09 10:47:55

Gemma theres loads to do with a little one round here. How old is your DC?

Oooh! I live in ashton too, I never knew there were any other mumsnetters around here!
My DS is nearly 4 so i have a few years of baby toddler group experience if any one wants to know anything to do

gemmac1 Wed 18-Nov-09 12:11:16

My dd is 12 weeks old so theres only a few things that we can do at the min.

How exciting all these people who live near me, it seemed like everyone else on here lives in London!

BethAndHerBrood Wed 18-Nov-09 12:46:46

gemmac1, have you joined surestart? They do lots of things you can take your DD to. Not for her, particularly, but for you!

gemmac1 Wed 18-Nov-09 12:50:07

Yeah Bethandherbrood, we have joined surestart. Went to the breasfeeding group in Ash last week but most of the groups etc will only be of any use to my dd in a few months. Have signed up to do hula hoop classes at the Bryn one though after Christmas in an attempt to get rid of my post baby jelly belly (smile).

BethAndHerBrood Wed 18-Nov-09 12:54:18

But sometimes the groups are as much about mum getting out as baby. We don't do the groups at the ymca now, as DS2 started nursery in sept, so we can't get to anything. But lots of mums take tinies to the coffee mornings, and the fri morning playgroup. Just so they can have a chat.

Depends what sort of a person you are though. I sometimes found the cm to be a bit dull. depends what floats yer boat!!

gemmac1 Wed 18-Nov-09 12:57:45

I havnt tried any of the coffee mornings yet. What are they like? I do keep meaning to try them but something always comes up.

BethAndHerBrood Wed 18-Nov-09 13:03:48

The cm are okay. DS2 liked it, so we kept going. Lots of discussion about trouser length, and coat sleeve length, as in "soandso grows so fast, clothes are too short, too long, wrong colour" Dullsville!!

I tended to be frowned at a lot, as I sat with another mum and giggled a lot!

But, it gets you out of the house. And it makes a change from quality save!

gemmac1 Wed 18-Nov-09 13:08:53

Hmmmmm.....I got the impression they would be a bit like that!!! I too would probably be frowned at as I would be sat in the corner on my own giggling away plus my dd would embarass me with her excessive wind....maybe should go to one next week and try and liven it up a bit!!!

alkar Wed 18-Nov-09 18:22:05

One thing I loved when DS was little was going to the cinema. Warrington odeon has a mum and baby group every tuesday morning. You can bf in there and your baby can make all the noise they want. Just fab grin

I went to the teddy bear group in golborne for the first year with DS its 0 - 1. Started going when DS was 5 weeks old so it would be perfect for you now.

alkar Wed 18-Nov-09 18:23:02

PS golborne group didn't have any stuffy mums and was very friendly. Still spend a lot of time with a couple of the mums now.

alkar Wed 18-Nov-09 18:24:29

On a roll now...

Ashton library does rhyme time on tuesday mornings and Golborne library has it on monday mornings. Theres a couple of babies at our group in golborne so just give it a go and see if your DD likes it.

BethAndHerBrood Wed 18-Nov-09 21:23:09

I'm going to Costa tomorrow for a coffee. How excitng is my life??!!grin

alkar Fri 20-Nov-09 16:08:44

How was your costa day out?

BethAndHerBrood Fri 20-Nov-09 17:07:33

LOL!! Was very nice, thanks. Never lets me down!

Big cup of coffee, read of a paper, peace and quiet. What's not to love?!

What does everyone else do during the day?

alkar Fri 20-Nov-09 18:02:44

We go to rhyme time on mondays, gym on Tuesdays and I usually work wed, thurs, fri. Only get to costa in my work lunch hours!!

BethAndHerBrood Fri 20-Nov-09 19:47:42

I tend to go on a morning, DS2 is in preschool then. Although he likes to go too, very keen on the reindeer biscuits at the moment.I don't like been in the house without him, so I go anywhere apart from home. [saddo emoticon]

alkar Fri 20-Nov-09 21:36:33

Aww, haven't reached that stage yet. If I have a day off work when DS is at nursery I go back to bed blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now