Moving to Malvern

(25 Posts)
Pellehaut Tue 26-Apr-16 21:40:40

my DH, DS (six years old) and I are thinking of moving to the Malvern area. The area is completely new to us and, as we live abroad, it isn't easy for us to scout it out other than on the internet at the moment. (Obviously we will visit in person as soon as we can before we make a final decision and start finding a house to rent!). Our son would be going into year 3 in September. We enjoy rural life, have dogs, enjoy being part of a community etc.

Does anyone on here have any nuggets of information they think it would be good to know about when searching for schools and homes in the area?

There seem to be some great local primary schools in Malvern and its surrounding villages but some seem oversubscribed - in reality is it very tough to get in to these schools?

Thanks in advance for any insights people are happy to share!

CaptainAhgua Fri 29-Apr-16 21:26:08

Hi Pellehaut, I live not far from Malvern, and it is a lovely area. Like you we love rural life and our dogs!
You do need to think carefully about where you/dh will be working as the Severn does split the area and there aren't many bridges over it so can be a real pinch point - the Carrington bridge at Worcester is awful.

As for school places, as your ds would be going in at a non standard time, it would be a case of asking where there are available slots

samsonthecat Fri 29-Apr-16 21:33:20

I live in Malvern. It's a lovely place to live. I work in Worcester which is a pain to get to in rush hour traffic because it's a long queue to get over the river.
There are good schools. I'm very happy with where my dc go to school. If you want to pm me I'll tell you which school.

Pellehaut Sun 01-May-16 21:48:50

Thank you, CaptainAhgua and samsonthecat, so much for responding - it's great to get some input! I had NO idea about the Severn splitting the area. Makes sense now I look at the map, of course.

My husband and I work for ourselves (on separate things) from home, so a daily commute isn't so much of an issue, but it could become one if I change how I work, so that is good to know. Also, we have a bunch of friends in Warwickshire, though I suppose travelling to see them and vice verse would be at weekends.

We hope to be back in the UK in time for DS to start school at the beginning of term in September, but we might not have proof of residency/address until August, so I guess we'll have to roll with whatever is available and make the most of whatever we end up with house-wise and school-wise. samsonthecat, I will PM you, thanks!

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-May-16 09:16:52

Coverage is pretty good now in the towns, but it's worth checking any house has access to fibre broadband- if you work for yourselves it would be awful to rent somewhere and find it has terrible Internet. Obv this is much worse in the villages

Late to the thread, but preparing the welcome wagon for you.
Malvern is FAB

HillBilly77 Thu 19-May-16 22:39:45

Malvern is lovely. My home town, moved back with my hubby last year after 15 years in London. You can live in the town but the whole are is made up of lots of villages joined together really, each has its own culture. West Malvern is quite a close community and very hippy-ish, Malvern Wells is upmarket, etc... House prices seemed great for us compared to the Sourh but are relatively high for the area. Will you rent before you buy?

Mum2monkey2 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:49:01

Hi, I too am moving in !
We arrive next week. Apex cited by the outdoor space as we have an active 6 yr old, crazy dog and 6 mth old. Got 6 yr old space at what appears to be a great school so fingers crossed.
Will be a few months exploring to find groups, mates and outdoorsy stuff.
If anyone can give some info tenant groups, fitness classes with baby and general social event I would be very grateful.

pellehaut, good luck with the move. Plese pm if I can help at all as should be just about moved by August !!

Thanks all x

Mum2monkey2 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:51:07

Sorry ^

Didn't proof read and auto text gone crazy shock

HillBilly77 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:45:51

That's exciting Mum2monkey! Malvern Joggers is a very sociable club, they run Wednesday nights and easy runs on Sunday mornings. The triathlon club is also a good one. Best pub is the Nags Head. Which school is your daughter going to?

Mum2monkey2 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:28:32

Hi, thank you for your reply. My son is heading to Somers Park. Hoping to join running club, never done tri . Are you a member ?

CaptainAhgua Mon 06-Jun-16 14:51:13

I see the Malvern Joggers at Worcester parkrun, and they seem a really nice group - the parkrun is fab, even if you'll have to drive over - give me a shout if you'd like a coffee after. Theres a lovely playground there, so lots of people hang around with the kids playing, esp this time of year. I don't do parkrun with my dogs, but often take them to the woods there. Their fave place is going up British Camp hill as theres rarely sheep there so they can really run.

Theres quite a lot of people doing tri locally if its of interest, and a thriving bike scene, both MTB and road. Lots of yoga in Malvern

Dixxie Mon 06-Jun-16 17:15:54

Somers Park is a lovely school, I have a few friends whose kids go there and are thriving. It has a great reputation.

Yes I'm in Malvern Joggers and sometimes go to Park run. I'm a fairly new member, the core group are a crazy bunch and all very friendly.

I've met some of the Tri club and they're a happy bunch too, I think there are also mountain bikers and as you hear, lots of yoga.

It's so beautiful this time of year, we love being on the hills in only 5 minutes and all the walks, runs and amazing views.

Malverntobe Sat 02-Jul-16 11:39:48

Relieved to see some MNetters are in Malvern! We were supposed to move last summer, didn't work out and lost the house of our dreams (didn't even know we had a house of our dreams until we saw one!)

Anyway, a year on cannot see anything to fall in love in such as property - love West Malvern and the views there but there seems to be a shortage of garden or amazing view equals a steep hill at the back, and there are problems with parking and access?

Hope to rent though at the moment there is worryingly nothing suitable to rent and what is there is suprisingly expensive(we currently live in an area with similar house prices but rentals here are nearly half the price of Malvern's!). We need to be in the Hanley castle catchment area for the eldest, and I cannot find the catchment map, short of obviously being in Upton itself (I'd prefer Malvern area). Middle child will be going in year 2, but primary school selection seems to be much better, not worried about that.

OP, if you have a dog are you sure you'll find anywhere to rent where they accept dogs? We only have one cat which is an outdoor animal completely, when it's cold lives in the garage...

HillBilly77 Sat 02-Jul-16 16:54:29

I have friends in Malvern with kids at Hanley Castle, so it must be possible. I hear it's the best school, smaller than the Chase and Dysons.

Mum2monkey2 Sun 03-Jul-16 20:01:44

Hi, we moved in a month ago now, and we currently rent as we want to know which part of Malvern we'd like to buy in and we still have a house to sell.
We have a little dog and renting has been no problem for us thankfully and have a great house with large garden for kids to let off steam !

We live lower Barnard green area and it really suits what we were after, haven't made it to any baby stuff yet but son has settled really well into new school.

When are you looking to be in ?

Malverntobe Mon 04-Jul-16 11:24:58

We accepted the offer on our house which was done on the condition that we move out by September, which doesn't give us enough time to go in a chain, though anyway we can't see anything we'd like to buy right now. But the buyers haven't had a survey yet etc, we are not even officially STC, it's all very precarious. We are sort of pushed to look for houses/schools, get moving quotes and start packing asap, at the same time our buyers are in a chain, God knows what the survey might show (we never had one done and the house is 60 years old), I really don't want to inform the schools we are leaving and then for it all to fall through!!
Unless if we don't sell we rent our house out and rent ourselves, is it what you've done, Mum2monkey? Or your house is on the market already? Do you mind me asking which area you moved from and how does it compare?

Malverntobe Thu 14-Jul-16 21:33:34

I hope someone from Malvern will have a look at this topic and add something! if any of you locals have children in state secondary schools/6th forms, please offer your opinions on them. Thank you!

Malverntobe Thu 14-Jul-16 21:36:47

Also feeling a bit sick with fear, rentals are nearly non-existent and absolutely astronomical, 3 bedrooms appear to be double the price of what they are here (though prices to buy here are higher!)...what if we don't find a house to live in in time for the move? Unfortunately we have an outdoor cat(many landlords rule out pets, and also she needs a garden, so can't do apartments) and moving from a 4 bedroom to a 3 will need a garage. Or will have to hire storage separately which is a pain...Hope it will all be worth it...

Zara79 Fri 15-Jul-16 21:03:16

Why don't you join the local Worcestershire group. There are lots of mums from Worcester and Malvern and in fact the mum who started the group just moved to Malvern herself.

Good luck.

Malverntobe Fri 15-Jul-16 22:23:20

Haven't thought of Facebook at all, thank you for the tip, Zara.

HillBilly77 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:04:15

Gosh I thought rentals were very cheap here... But we moved from London so everything feels like an incredible bargain!

Malverntobe Sat 16-Jul-16 13:50:36

Something like this
shouldn't be more than 650 a month in our area. But to buy a similar house locally would be a similar price, maybe 10% more. We have not that many selling locally, but plenty of rentals. In Malvern the agents told me there is a shortage of rentals, so they can get away with higher prices.

Malverntobe Sat 16-Jul-16 14:02:22

Though I suppose that particular listing is outrageously expensive for what it is, that's why is still not rented out. DH is refusing to contemplate something like this for that price.

But then this one in Welland looked quite skanky to us (despite the beautiful setting and nice garden), but got Let Agreed in a heartbeat:

HillBilly77 Sat 16-Jul-16 16:01:15

I agree, the first one is ridiculously priced for Malvern; and the second one is more than I expected. There isn't much choice, is there 🤔

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now