Tudor Grange Academy in Worcester

(11 Posts)
lottieandmia Thu 19-May-16 23:51:13

Hi, I'm looking for advice about this school as I'm considering it for my dd who is currently in year 7 at a girls private school. I am happy with the school academically but there are some social issues going on that I don't feel are going to do her any good in the long term. There are also only 20 girls in her year. I just feel this isn't enough.

I've heard good things about Tudor Grange. My daughter is academic but she is brilliant at art and lives and breathes it. So the art department is important because I do think that she will have a career in some aspect of it. Her current art teacher is very impressed with her and feels she has something special. She has been in an all girls school since the age of 4 so I hope this won't be too much of a culture shock for her.

Does anyone have any advice?

Starrynight77 Fri 20-May-16 18:04:49

Go and see it. Look at art dept-specifically ask to look at it. Reputation is much improved locally. Droitwich spa high school also good.

lottieandmia Fri 20-May-16 22:54:41

Thank you for your reply. I have asked if we can specifically look at the art department. Droitwich High is a bit far for us to go every day. From what I can gather, Tudor Grange is nothing really to do with the former Elgar High School (v bad reputation) even though it's on the same site... I've looked at Monmouth Girls too but dd would have to board, which she doesn't want and she didn't like the art department.

Starrynight77 Fri 20-May-16 22:57:36

Well, it is on same site and does still take in kids from the same catchment! I'd def go and look.

lottieandmia Fri 20-May-16 23:01:45

Do you have any specific experience of it Starry? I am sure they have issues like every other school but I feel that when my dd's current school has 20 in her year and they can't get the stealing and bullying under control then something is wrong...

Starrynight77 Fri 20-May-16 23:05:16

I live locally to it but have never actually sent a child there. It is much better than Elgar ever was.

gunting Fri 20-May-16 23:08:57

Elgar had a dreadful reputation before it changed to Tudor Grange. The immediate area that the school is in isn't a bad area though.

I'd say go and have a look around the school and see what you think. Nunnery Wood is quite a good school but the other side of Worcester.

samsonthecat Fri 20-May-16 23:13:57

Go and look round, I think you'll be impressed.

Starrynight77 Fri 20-May-16 23:47:18

I don't think nunnery is as good as it's reputation.

lottieandmia Sat 21-May-16 09:13:37

Thank you for your responses - we will go and look at it.

I have actually already enquired about Nunnery Wood as it is our catchment. But the person on admissions there said there was a long waiting list and couldn't put the phone down fast enough!

GiantFeet Tue 28-Jun-16 22:44:28

Only just seen this. Have you sorted it out now?

If Nunnery is your catchment have you considered Blessed Edwards?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now