Local Talk

Relocating to York-schools advice please

(27 Posts)
garden Sat 05-Feb-11 21:07:11

Hi- Possibly relocating to York,( a much- wanted move as both from the north)and would like to live in city center.Have DS in Y5 and DD in Y1. Where do children go to secondary? And if oversubscribed which schools do they tend to end up with at both primary and secondary.Any help much appreciated-thanks in advance.

mungojerrie Sun 06-Feb-11 22:11:05

Are you looking at private or state?
If state then have a look at the york.gov.uk website as there is plenty of schools info there including catchment areas - centre of York is more than one catchement especially for primary.

garden Tue 08-Feb-11 12:28:18

Thanks, munjojerrie- am looking at state-am I right in thinking that for foundation places at Archbishop Holgate you don't have to be in the catchment area?

mungojerrie Tue 08-Feb-11 21:07:47

Archbishops is a C of E school so I believe they have other entry criteria as well as catchment - church attendance and Christian belief.

Might be a good idea to call the school directly. Archbishops has a good reputation locally so I imagine they don't struggle to fill places!

bellavita Tue 08-Feb-11 21:17:49

When we get enquiries at our school (in York), we initially refer them to the Access Team on 01904 554248 and they will be able to advise where there are places.

janeyjampot Wed 09-Feb-11 20:46:10

Garden, you are right about Archbishops and catchment. We got a foundation place there for DD2 last year and we live 17 miles from the school. We didn't take the place but two children from the church we attend are in Yr7 there and very happy.

Try St Paul's or Acomb- lovely small schools, emphasis away from the National Curriculum (within reason, obvs).

Don't be taken in by Manor CE's good reputation- it's not a nice school. Their site sings their praises, but there is so much bullying there and the teachers don't care. Lessons are not involved and G&T provision is done to the bare minimum. Teachers get mocked, they try so hard to make things work for the bad kids but otherwise, they won't bother about the rest. Sorry to be so vituperative, but my advice is a hearty 'steer well clear'.

bellavita Sun 13-Mar-11 17:11:09

quirrei - how do you know this? Have your children been to Manor?

I have friends with a son at Manor. His SHOES were stolen whilst he was changed for PE. The school did nothing to resolve this. Just told him to buy another pair!! shock
From what we heard about the teaching side we weren't hugely impressed either.

I went to Manor, not so long ago, and I know other people with children there. Are you on the staff?

Oh yes, you get spat on, casually shoved around in the corridor, things stolen and thrown out of the window, and teachers walk past in the corridors and don't do anything. The younger years can bully the older years. Lunchtime clubs run for a month and then stop.
I'm sure it's not all bad, I just didn't have a great time there, and I know others who feel the same way. There are one or two lovely teachers, who do take the bullying and their subject seriously.

janeyjampot Mon 14-Mar-11 08:55:41

I'm really surprised to hear that, quirrel. Both of my DDs go to Manor and they love it.

Well, I'm glad for them, then. Do they like the lessons?

bellavita Mon 14-Mar-11 18:21:25

quirrel, no I am not on the staff of that particular school although one of my colleagues has a child that goes there and she has nothing but praise for them.

Northern, are they sure the shoes were not misplaced? Which is what often happens but the pupil gives a different version to the parents?

It is secondary school, not primary... some parents seem to think it is the responsibility of the school to look after their childs possessions when in fact the children need to look after their own stuff.

Bellavita - the child in question had NO shoes to wear. The shoes disappeared from the changing room. They were not 'misplaced'. He took them off and when he went back to get dressed after the lesson they were gone and nobody would admit responsibility. I agree secondary aged children should be responsible for their own belongings - however when said belongings are stolen from the child then it's really pushing it to hold the child responsible hmm The child in question is a particularly mature and responsible lad. Being shoeless is not his idea of a good laugh.

janeyjampot Mon 14-Mar-11 20:33:55

Just asked them and they say they do enjoy the lessons - not that I can remember ever enjoying a lesson smile. School must have changed a lot...

Oh well
There's a particularly good English teacher there, who is very encouraging and doesn't let you get complacent. But other teachers- I'd ask for extra work or for them to explain something and get told "oh, you don't need to know that until next year...just sit still".
Do they notice the bullying? The thing is, it's become very normal. Only if a "normal" person is being treated badly is it seen as bullying. Otherwise it's accepted and expected.

janeyjampot Mon 14-Mar-11 21:20:00

DD2 once stayed late after school to see her head of year with another girl about a boy in their form who was being bullied. That's the only time my DDs have mentioned it though.

The work thing sounds bizarre and has not been our experience at all. In maths, DD1 has come up three full NC levels in 18 months, which suggests to me that she's being given plenty of opportunity to move beyond her expected trajectory, if you see what I mean. We've honestly been very happy with the DDs' experience so far, but I accept that others may have had different experiences. I'm sorry that you didn't have a better time at school.

I do understand.
It wasn't just me though- it was a lot of people, otherwise I wouldn't have such a bad opinion of the school! I mean, I have AS- I probably was 'inviting' it (no self pity, honest!). The other people weren't though. But it's not specific to Manor, this atmosphere, it's a very definite hierarchy which you'll find in most state schools, I imagine.
The Maths teacher who has just come back after a year away is very good, yes. But in subjects like languages (where surely you'd want people to be willing to tackle grammar etc!) or humanities, they're not the strongest.
Hope your daughters keep on having a good time there

traceface Fri 18-Mar-11 10:26:08

OP, York has loads of schools so it would really depend which area of York you moved to. FWIW, I think Manor is a very good school! My DDs will go to Arch Bishops if we stay in our current area, and I would be more than happy with that smile
Hope you find something you're happy with! Good luck with relocating smile

garden Sat 26-Mar-11 14:38:57

thanks for all advice- move hopefully going ahead stilll- any idea of what state schools primary and secondary we will end up with if we live in walmgate- have y1 and y5 child?
i know we are probably catchment for fulford but walmgate is very far away- does anyone get in from town centre?
also how flexible are ks2 at letting in an extra junior child as have been told all our primary catchment schools are full- or does it depend on individual schools-again thanx for any comments.

xxlauraxx Wed 30-Mar-11 21:12:54

I don't know why Manor CE school is getting such bad reports from people on here. I go there and I am in year 9, I think it is an amazing school.

Languages - You either learn German or French - I learn French - depending on which form you are in (you do have a say on which you would prefer to learn - I 100% recommend French, apparently German is really hard).

Humanities - RS, Geography & History, are all very well taught. The teachers are all very good at teaching the pupils and keeping them entertained.

Lunchtime Activities - They are not just run for a month then stop, they are run continuously throughout the year. Except for sports - where they alternate depending on the time of year, this is because not all sports are played in the same season. For example Netball is played at the start of the school year and Rounder's is played at the end (with lots of sports in between).

I think Manor is an amazing secondary school to go to, I would recommend it to anyone. Manor has a new school building and is currently constructing a new performing arts area.
One tip: Unless you want your kids to be 'chavs' then don’t send them to York High.

overthehill Sun 03-Apr-11 20:14:49

My children go to Archbishop's and both are happy there; we live 2.5 miles away and they got foundation places. If you are going to be living in the Walmgate area it would be ideal as the No.8 Park and Ride bus goes down Walmgate every 8-10 mins and stops right outside the school a few minutes later. It has a very good reputation for pastoral care as well as academically and a new head who seems just as approachable as the last one. It also has a newly opened sixth form.

St Lawrence's primary school is fairly near to Walmgate and a feeder school so might be a good choice if they have any places. Fishegate is also a good primary school and would be a feeder for Fulford, I would guess. Lord Deramore's has lots of children from university-connected families and children go to Archies or Fulford from there. My children went to Park Grove which is an easy cycle/bus/car ride from the Walmgate area.

York has a lot of very good state schools including Manor and Fulford and compared to schools in many areas York High would be considered a good school. My dd has friends who go there who are not 'chavs'!

Hope that helps.

There is no such thing as a feeder school in York. Secondary allocation is done only on criteria based on special needs, home address and siblings. Primary school attended has nothing to do with it. Any child from any primary school can apply to any secondary school. It is true though that because of the location thing certain primarys tend to send their children to certain secondarys en masse - but your choice of primary does not give you an edge for secondary.

overthehill Sun 03-Apr-11 23:56:18

I'm not sure that I totally agree with what you say, northernlurker: there are feeder schools inasmuch as going to a certain primary school ensures that you get a place at the catchment secondary, although obviously you are at liberty to apply anywhere. It's also true to say that the catchment primaries tend to develop partnerships with the secondaries so that the children are often familiar with the secondary school if they choose to go to the catchment one as they will have been to various sessions there and have had pupils from the secondary coming to help with events at the primary.

No I'm afraid you are absolutely wrong. The primary your child attends has no bearing on secondary place. Yes certain schools build relationships but that is all.The guide for parents specifically states 'Please note that attending a particular
primary school is not taken into
consideration when allocating places at
secondary schools.'
If the primary is the catchment school for your address then yes the 'linked' secondary will be your ctachment school too but primary attendance has nothing to do with the admission.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now