Local Talk

local festivals or country shows

(13 Posts)
readysalted Tue 24-Jan-12 20:34:56

hi does anybody know of any local country shows or events around york this year im a caterer and i have spent all day trying to get pitches to sell hot food but i keep getting the same answer we use a contract caterer who brings a burger \chip van i dont do that sort of food but it seems lost on the organisers some have been very honest with me telling me the astronomical fees that the vans pay to ensure they get chosen to come and do food its not letting the little people have a go {you could say its sour grapes but i just want a chance to provide good quality food}by the way this is not advert just a request for a bit of help i live close to york and can travel thanks readysalted confused

BellaVita Tue 24-Jan-12 20:40:51

What about the farmers market at Murton? Or they do car boot sales there every Sunday, surely you could get a pitch there?

readysalted Tue 24-Jan-12 20:54:44

Hi Bella thanks for the reply i am a farmers market devotee its events and festivals that ime trying to get my nose in with not much joy at the side of me i have two sheets of a4 with contact details on most of them crossed out as they are using contracted caterers i have the chance of galtres festival in york but out of the whole year it is the same weekend that i have a confirmed three day booking this is just my luck

BellaVita Tue 24-Jan-12 21:08:38

There is a York Residents Fesival being held in town is weekend? Perhaps you could contact North Yorks County Council?

readysalted Tue 24-Jan-12 21:12:59

thanks i will contact them in the morning to see about availability and cost i feel like saying i will not be beaten on this i will feed people biscuit

BellaVita Tue 24-Jan-12 21:14:09

Good luck.

readysalted Tue 24-Jan-12 23:19:11

thanks

gaelicsheep Tue 24-Jan-12 23:26:54

The Driffield Show is really great - only once a year though. There's a farmer's market there the first Saturday of every month (at least there was, presume it's still going).

gaelicsheep Tue 24-Jan-12 23:29:07

Sorry, just seen you do farmers' markets already. smile

pearlgirl Tue 24-Jan-12 23:43:28

Have you tried the York council website for details of the festivals and events run in the city? It's york.gov.uk

readysalted Wed 25-Jan-12 09:36:29

hi thanks for your replies i have been to the driffield farmers market it was good i am going to try the council now thankyou so much for your kind help

joshandjamie Fri 27-Jan-12 17:58:37

what kind of food do you do out of interest? I always hate it when you go to these shows and all you can buy is fried food. I always wish there was somewhere selling amazing soup or salads or wraps or something

readysalted Sat 04-Feb-12 15:21:42

hi josh and jamie that is exactly what i do i cook homemade steak pie and peas i do wraps and boxed salads chilli con carne and rice and chicken curry i do quesidillias and creamy garlic mushrooms on a warm ciabatta i allways have a homemade hot soup to suit vegitarians and meat eaters i aim to use seasonal produce that i can get locally grin i do not do chips i dont do burgers or anything like that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now