Local Talk

Proposed changes to the Friarage hospital Northallerton

(7 Posts)
angelofthenorth79 Thu 02-Feb-12 21:21:22

Hi everyone,
Just wondered if you had heard about the proposed changes to the Friarage hospital? Due to upcoming retirements & problems recruiting staff there's a good possibility that the high dependency maternity unit will be closed with the Friarage just taking a max of 500 births per year with the high dependancy Mums going to James Cook, Darlington, Harrogate or York.
I don't live too far away from the Friarage but my husband & I were lucky to make it to the Friarage, never mind if we'd have to go to James Cook! I really feel for Mum's to be in the Dales who rely on such hospitals as the Friarage which provides a wonderfully small & friendly maternity unit.
There are planned public consultaions from March onwards and those of you who would like to express their points of view should do their best to attend.
Many thanks for reading ;)

amylou Fri 03-Feb-12 19:06:08

Hi Angel, so glad you've posted this - I was just looking to see if it had been mentioned on mumsnet yet. I'm exactly the same as you - live near the Friarage but my Dad, brother and his wife live in Leyburn so its just awful that they would have to travel to James Cook.. its an hours journey! Already most heart patients go to James Cook..
If anyone else wants to support, there's a epetition to sign: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28364

thanks

angelofthenorth79 Sat 04-Feb-12 14:22:18

Thanks for your message AmyLou. There's also a facebook group too. I've just read that there is a plan for a protest march in either April or March so my little one & I will also be there.
Thanks smile

amylou Tue 07-Feb-12 19:54:08

whats the facebook group called?

angelofthenorth79 Thu 09-Feb-12 21:09:35

http://www.facebook.com/groups/175289505909679 ( I think!) & also a twitter account too @SaveTheFriarage

Hope that this help ;)

amylou Fri 10-Feb-12 21:03:50

Hi Angel - yes that facebook link worked - thanks!

LocalNHS Thu 16-Feb-12 15:00:55

Hi,

I represent the NHS organisation leading the children's and maternity services review at the Friarage.

To keep up to date with all our announcements and opportunities to have your say, please keep an eye on the dedicated web page we have set up:

www.northyorkshireandyork.nhs.uk/LocalServices/FriarageChildrensServices/index.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now