Local Talk

Relocating to york with mixed race children (white/black)

(4 Posts)
emmacoby Tue 21-Feb-12 14:08:56

I am a single parent with 2 young children, i am wanting to relocate to york, i dont know the area well but i have been looking at the local schools ofsted reports and it seems theres not many mixed race children in any of the schools, can anyone advise me on york or any surrounding areas that is multicultural, i dont know any one in york so i need as much info as possible, my main and only concern is wanting to make sure my children fit into the area i choose to relocate to

mungojerrie Wed 22-Feb-12 18:23:37

York isn't the most culturally diverse place that's for sure. But I'd like to think you could settle happily into most areas. Fishergate Primary has quite a high number of ethnic minority children and that is due to the nearby army barracks and university which attract a number of different nationalities. And I know that our local pre school in Leeman Road has children of 9 nationalities (out of about 25 children) so that is quite good too.

Come and have a look around the areas and see what you think.

upatdawn Wed 22-Feb-12 22:58:43

York isn't terribly ethnically diverse but I would say secondary wise the faith schools would be more diverse. Fulford school also includes the army barracks and therefore the children of the gurkha troops so that is also more diverse. Take a look around and get a feel for the schools, nothing beats that!

emmacoby Fri 09-Mar-12 08:43:38

Thank you for your replies, I have looked at the ofsted reports and am now planning on visiting york a few more times to get a feel for the areas, Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now