Local Talk

Having a wobble about moving to York - come tell me why it's lovely

(19 Posts)
joshandjamie Thu 23-Feb-12 08:13:46

We made a rather rash decision in January and decided to move to York. I've been there once for two days. My husband is from Yorkshire. He wants to be closer to his elderly mother and he wants our children to go to private school (which we can't afford to do where we currently live). Our boys have got into Clifton and St Olaves. Our house is on the market. Basically once the school year is up, we're moving ready to start in Sept at the new schools.

We currently live in a big, grade 2 listed lovely house with a big garden and pool. Beautiful countryside on our doorstep. Good (free) schools.

The downsides - you've got to get in your car to get anything and the people are not massively friendly, although I do now have a circle of friends that it's taken me years to build up. We just couldn't see ourselves growing old here and figured we needed to make a move sooner rather than later.

Our reasons for moving to York (besides the schools and MIL situation) was to have the lovely amenities on our doorstep (i.e. not having to get in car everywhere) and friendlier people. But I'm now second guessing our decision. Will I make friends? Am I going to be spending my life stuck in traffic? Can we find a house that is bigger than a postage stamp to live in that is still walkable to the school.

Please come and tell me why living in York is lovely and how it is the right decision.

Pootles2010 Thu 23-Feb-12 08:24:28

Oh its lovely here! I came to uni here and liked it so much i stayed! All my friends from uni who had to move away are very jealous and visit very often.

I don't know about the house thing - depends on your budget! I can't afford to live in the centre, but thats because I'm v skint...

Traffic can be a pain, but depends where you live, if you're walkable to everything, then no!

People are really friendly here, and there's lots going on so plenty of chances to meet people.

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 23-Feb-12 08:36:13

Yes, of course you will make friends. (this is meant kindly, though looks a bit bossy).

You are moving from the south somewhere, I guess, from the tone of your OP. York is lovely, you know.

Why don't you go for a weekend by yourself for a bit of a look around?

Presumably, if you are currently in a big, grade 2 listed lovely house with a big garden and a pool, your budget is huge.

Get a grip, woman! It will be fine and, if not, you can return.

joshandjamie Thu 23-Feb-12 10:51:05

Thanks Pootles. That's the kind of thing I need to hear. Marjorie - I wouldn't say our budget is huge given the house prices in York but yes, it will be a good budget that will get us a nice town house (I hope!). I know that York is lovely having walked around it when I was there but a sense of community is really important to me. We'll be moving from a village to a city - I guess I'm wondering how easy it is to get to know people. It's all just getting a bit real now that we've made the decision.

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 23-Feb-12 11:07:56

Sorry, OP, I was a bit harsh.

I hope someone comes along with some specific advice about York. I remember it fondly as a child, as we used to visit my uncle who lived there.

loumumagain Thu 23-Feb-12 11:22:59

Hi. We did exactly the same last year for the same reasons. We moved from Kingston south London where I had lived all my life. It was a scary process and a brave one. My parents and years of good friends are still in Kingston. We moved here in July and was it the right decision, absolutely. Our boys goes to Bootham 2 at senior and 1 at junior which we are delighted with. Oldest boy moved from huge state secondary and the difference is astonishing. It is such a lovely place to live. Everyone is so friendly and York centre is fantastic. Not loads of houses ever on market near town so may take a bit of time to find one but you will. If you'd like to meet up for a coffee and share experiences next time u r in York I'd be more than happy too. Good luck.

QED Thu 23-Feb-12 11:27:20

Am posting here quickly to put this on threads I'm on but York is lovely I promise smile will reply more later.

LouMacca Thu 23-Feb-12 11:38:45

Ooh you lucky thing!! I recently put a thread up about wanting to move to York and got lots of replies, I'll go and find the thread and link it.

joshandjamie Thu 23-Feb-12 11:45:21

Loumum - I will take you up on your offer to meet for coffee. Not sure when we are going there next but I would love to meet someone who has gone through a similar moving experience. We looked at Bootham - loved it - but they were tight on places and as they didn't play rugby which is a bit of a passion for my sporty younger son, we opted for St Peters/Olaves/Clifton.

QED - look forward to hearing from you!

upatdawn Thu 23-Feb-12 19:04:24

It is lovely here. Some lovely houses, beautiful river area, lots of green space and very good state schools as well as fab privates. It also occasionally smells of chocolate grin

upatdawn Thu 23-Feb-12 19:06:49

Other thing to mention - your childrens' school will be great for meeting new people so if you have the time get involved their.

upatdawn Thu 23-Feb-12 19:07:00

there

marzipananimal Fri 02-Mar-12 10:50:40

York is lovely! I used to live practically next door to St Olaves (still not too far from there) and it is a lovely little area. I think the main downside to York is that it's quite a long drive to the nearest good countryside eg. Dales, Moors and coast, but you can do lovely walks along the river and I often find as I walk around town, especially if it's sunny, that I feel like I'm on holiday smile

joshandjamie Sat 03-Mar-12 18:01:41

Thanks Upatdawn and marzipananimal - just saw your replies. I am starting to get more excited about the whole thing now. Just need to find a house!

DontWorryBeHappy1994 Thu 08-Mar-12 20:48:23

York is great!! I recommend Bailey's cafe for food and drink because i work there its lovely ;)

We currently live in a big, grade 2 listed lovely house with a big garden and pool. Beautiful countryside on our doorstep. Good (free) schools.

State schools don't get much better than those in York! They all bar one have good or outstanding ofsteds and have fab results. In fact for sixth form Fulford gets the second best results in the city (ahead of St Peter's). I would take a look at all of the school options for secondary.

chetempo Mon 08-Apr-13 17:11:15

I am still living in Italy but moving to York with my family in July. I am looking for a house and I would like to move to Rawcliffe. I looked at the Clifton with Rawcliffe school site and it seems quite a good scholl. Might anyone of you help me suggesting if the place I choose is good for families (my kids are 8 and 9)?
Thank you all!

lilypoppet Wed 26-Jun-13 07:15:41

So glad I saw your message. I am moving to York from London and get anxiety attacks about it on a regular basis, even though I know I am doing the right thing. My DH was born in Fulford, but I've lived all over the place and that's why I hate moving. I am moving for the schools and to give our children a better life. Good luck!

SunshineOutdoors Wed 26-Jun-13 18:56:30

I've just moved to South Bank (across the river from Fulford) and absolutely love it here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now