Local Talk

Hello - what's it like living in cheaper bits of South Bank?

(11 Posts)
luzluz Sat 24-Mar-12 11:21:44

Hi,

We are relocating to York to follow DH's job - I would like to be on a career break for a few years so budget will be tight. Have lots of questions if anyone is able to help.

We are from sprawling metropolis of the south east so scared of village life grin and quite fancy the look of South Bank area. Can't really rent for very long as v. expensive and need to get DD1 settled in a primary.

Do any of you live in one of the traditonal 3 bed terraces round that way? How do you find living there/in a terrace? Is it a quietish family area or will I be surrounded by noisy youngun's with no kids? We are quite noisy ourselves (2 DDs 4 and 1) so I'm bit nervous of how much noise we will be emitting the other way too! How is the on street parking round there? I'm not worried about getting a spot right outside the house but would like to be able to park on my road.

Also have complete nightmare of trying to get DD1 into primary school round that way for a Sept 12 start - if I don't get a local primary place to that area is anyone able to advise where we might get placed?

I'm looking at the properties on rightmove in the v. low end e.g.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34990352.html

Are these areas/houses ok in your opinion?

Ta v. much in advance

Luz

mungojerrie Sat 24-Mar-12 20:01:13

Love love love Southbank. Lots of young families, lots going on, great primary schools (Knavesmire and Scarcroft). Have a look at bishy road for examples.

Parking - it can be busy but we never had a problem when we lived on one of the streets next to the one you have linked to.

You are only a few minutes walk to Rowntree Park which is fantastic - makes up for lack of back garden. Easy and pretty walk into town along the river.

I'd go for it smile

luzluz Sat 24-Mar-12 20:59:57

Thanks so much mungojerrie - was expecting that it was too good to be true. Is great news!

Stopsittingonyoursister Sat 24-Mar-12 21:08:38

Hi

South Bank is a lovely area, the Pig and Pastry is to die for, and local shops like the deli are also very handy. It is also possible to walk into town. Lots of local toddler groups going on as well.

We had a friend who lived in one of the two bed terraces just off Bishopthorpe Road, and they made a third bedroom in the loft. The house itself was beautiful, but no garden at all, just a yard, so not sure whether that would be something to factor into it?

Also, parking is OK for residents I think, but when we went to visit it could be difficult, as you needed a permit to park outside the house and they were only given out to the householder in limited number.

I know you say you don't like village life, but there are several very large villages on the outskirts of York, like Bishopthorpe, Copmanthorpe etc that have lots of amenities, excellent schools, lovely communities, and good commuter links with York. They might be worth looking at?

Good luck!

luzluz Sun 25-Mar-12 11:44:48

Thanks stopsitting, will look at villages too if budget permits. It's so hard planning where to live when I've only been to the area once years ago!

garden Wed 28-Mar-12 16:22:22

Hi,
If you didn't mind a walk over the bridge we managed to get ours in at Fishergate. Lovely welcoming school.
You will need to get a list of schools ( on York website) and phone round to see who has places -or that's what we were advised to do by council. Then go and see what you think.
We were in your position last year. Most schools will have some idea of Sept availability now.
Good wishes for your move !

BerthaTheBogBurglar Wed 28-Mar-12 16:38:33

You do just have to phone all the schools and ask who has places. We were looking at York this time last year. We ended up just over the border in East Riding (who have a much easier school system! you phone the council and they tell you who has places). The York council lady did tell me which schools not to bother phoning cos they never had places, and I think Knavesmire might have been one of those, could have misremembered though.

We hear about reception places for sept 2012 on 20th April, I expect York is about the same date. After that you can phone the schools and see who has places. If you look on RightMove it shows you all the schools near the houses you're looking at, and you can link through to the Ofsted report. If it scored a 3 or less, you'll probably get a place ... And the council will just give you a place at the nearest school that has one. It won't be far away, cos there are loads of schools in a small area.

luzluz Wed 28-Mar-12 16:44:01

Thanks both for your advice.

Bertha - I was afraid we might end up with a place at a 3 which is the position we're in down south at the moment despite being in catchment for a great schoo due to oversubscription. I'm sure they'll still be fine schools I just don't want to have to trek miles over the other side of town.

Garden - good to hear you got a good place last year. Will have to keep in regular touch with the council.

SunshineOutdoors Tue 10-Apr-12 18:11:10

watching this thread... we're planning a move to York in the next year or so.. would love it to be South Bank. Dd is currently 8 months.... If we did move before she was 2 what are the chances of getting her into Knavesmire Primary when the time comes? (v. ignorant about these matters)

QED Tue 10-Apr-12 18:30:43

As long as you live very near to the school when you apply for a place you should be fine. You apply by the middle of January before they start school in the September so assuming your DD was born July/August 2011 she would start school September 2015 and you would apply by January 2015. You can't apply earlier for a school place although not sure about school nurseries and how you apply for them here as we moved just before DD started reception and their school doesn't have a nursery part anyway.

SunshineOutdoors Tue 10-Apr-12 20:09:43

Thank you... I'm v looking forward to moving but have to look into the boring practicalities of moving mortgage before I can get too excited. This sounds like another good reason to do it before dd nears school age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now