Local Talk

Reunion in York, your suggestions?

(8 Posts)

So eight of us, old friends are meeting up in York mid May for 3 nights. None of us are from the area and as such have no idea where to go.

Any suggestions for our first night there, which will involve eating and catching up, a good bistro/restaurant place. We are staying near the Railway Station and can do some walking but not too far as some of us are ancient!

Also for the rest of our stay is there anywhere that is special or should we rely on the usual tourist thing? Can we get a coach directly to Whitby? I would love to hear about 'hidden treasures' which we would never encounter otherwise.

Thank you for your time and patience, all suggestions gratefully received x

joshandjamie Thu 03-May-12 21:21:30

I am about to move to York so am not massively familiar with it (as a local yet!) but walking the walls (if you're feeling energetic enough) is lovely. Betty's tea rooms are a must. Can't recommend restaurants yet as I haven't been to anything other than kid friendly pizza express etc. To explore the town a fun way you could try a treasure hunt from www.huntfun.co.uk - they have several hunts in York. You get a booklet and clues that you have to find, a good way of seeing bits you might not see. Otherwise a ghost walk might good.

Thank you for that information. I did think I might get some restaurant names from 'locals', always nice to get personal recommendations, but I appreciate your comments.

We have some the information about the Ghost Walks, so that looks a definite and I'll look up the hunt details, thanks again smile

ZuleikaJambiere Fri 04-May-12 11:00:26

For eating out near the station, there is a lovely Italian called Delrio's, right next to Micklegate Bar (on the walls). If you're on Fossgate/Walmgate there are lots of lovely restaurants - in fact these streets came 3rd in the UKs top foodie streets in Google' street view awards. There are a bit of a walk from the station, but to be honest anywhere within the city walls is only 20 minutes away

Touristy things - I love the Castle Museum, and there's a new Chocolate Museum that's just opened (not been there yet, but hoping to do so). If your legs are up to climbing stairs, the view from the top of the Minster on a good day is fab. Or there is a big wheel in the grounds of the grounds of the Royal York hotel (the one next to the station) for the view but without the steps

There's lots of events going on through the summer (and the rest of the year), look on here for tourist info

There is a bus to Whitby (coastlines), or the train goes to Scarborough. If you can get to Pickering, the North York Moors Railway runs from there to Whitby. And if you can get to the Pickering area, you must go to Castle Howard, which is one of my favourite places ever

Enjoy your trip!

Zuleika, thank you so much for your help. I will definitely suggest we try that Italian for one of our evening meals, and the information about Whitby is great, if only I can persuade the others!

I spent a week at Whitby Youth Hostel, decades ago, with the school, we frightened ourselves half to death with ghost stories, so have always had an inkling to go back to see if it was as fascinating as I recall. I certainly remember those steps!

Off to look up the bus times smile, thank you once again thanks

ZuleikaJambiere Sun 06-May-12 01:00:40

The hostel next to the Abbey? I stayed in there with guides - terrifying place! But I love Whitby about as much as I love York, I'm sure your trip will be a great success

FatherDougalMcGuire Mon 21-May-12 22:24:57

Best steak I've ever had from this place. The service is exceptional too.

There's a new Wagamama in York too, which is always good for a girlie lunch.

Thank you Father, I have actually just got back from York today and we had a great time, with outstanding weather.

But we are going to do it again soon, so I really appreciate your suggestions, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now