Local Talk

Childcare

(3 Posts)
Hildur Wed 28-May-14 15:47:46

Hi,

I will be moving to York this fall from Iceland with my family of three and while scanning over the amount of childcare options in England I got a bit confused (childcare, creches, nurseries, nannies, au-pairs, pre-schools etc. - wow!) and was wondering if someone could give me an advice.

My son is two years old (getting three in August) and is currently going to Kindergarten here in Iceland. In the fall, Me and my husband are both going to university and will probably be attending classes most days. Can anyone tell me which of these options above (or other?) could maybe suit us? What is the difference and would you recommend any?

Thank you.

ScotlandtoYork Wed 28-May-14 23:32:07

Hi Hildur,
I am sure someone else far more knowledgeable will be along to answer your questions soon.. but as far as I know your son will be entitled to 15 hours a week at any registered form of childcare. However this may depend on visas or residency? I think if your husband and yourself are both at university then your son should be eligible.
I have just moved to York from Scotland so still figuring things out for myself!
Hope someone else will be a bit more helpful than me.... smile

LocalEditorYork Sat 14-Jun-14 10:33:03

Maybe the first place to look will be the university itself. They have a great nursery on site which might suit you best of all.

Otherwise, people tend to choose the childcare that best meets their needs. One is not necessarily better than the other.

Another good place to look is the City of York council website. It will give you all the information that you need about childcare provision and schools, etc. I'll try to attach links here:

University of York Nursery

York Council

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with on here! Do you know where you'll be living?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now