Bootham school

(6 Posts)
Pickles2015 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:44:40

We are moving to York and have been thinking about Bootham junior school for our 2 kids. Does anyone here have children who go there and would be able to tell me a bit about the school and it's community from a parents perspective? Thanks so much x

thisisweird Sun 10-Jan-16 18:50:11

Don't have kids there (can't afford it) but if I could I would be there in a heartbeat. LOVE the Quaker philosophy and have never heard anything negative about either Ebor or Bootham.
However - the good thing about York is that there are lots of lovely primary schools in the state sector too. Where are you planning on living?

Pickles2015 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:59:49

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree about the Quaker philosophy! Our kids are currently in state schools and would be v happy with this too, schools in York do seem to be very good, but we're struggling a bit more with availability for in-year places in the state schools. We've been looking at south bank area, just because we like the feel of it, but local schools are unfortunately oversubscribed. Would love to hear other recommendations for nice family areas to live? Thanks

thisisweird Sun 10-Jan-16 21:55:42

Have a look at the Groves or East Parade area in Heworth. You do need to pick your house carefully as there are a lot of student lets etc but there are also some lovely family homes. It's right on top of the city centre but there are some nice parks etc too.
Schoolswise - Heworth primary is very small but well regarded. Park Grove has always had a very lovely naice feeling I believe. Haxby Road was not good - terrible ofsted, head sacked for cheating in SATS (!) but it's now had a lot of resources chucked at it and is part of a federation whatsit with Robert Wilkinson at Strensall which is a very good school.
Stockton Lane is another good area with nice primary schools and lovely houses.

NessaYork Sat 14-May-16 07:07:05

Have you looked at The Mount? The junior school (used to be Tregelles) is taking boys again so it will be co-ed up to year 6 and senior school is all girls. Also has the Quaker ethos but also has small class sizes and the facilities are breath-taking, especially the forest school (which my dd loves).
If you want to move into inner York there are new developments happening around the Knavesmire like the Terry's works; if you're looking further out then Strensall seems to have quite a bit going on.

NellieEllieMummy Sat 14-May-16 18:49:13

We live in the Holgate area, love it. Short walk into town or Bishopthorpe Road, also near the station. Great state primary schools but also the Mount School on your door step with its Quaker ethos etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now