Londoners meet up (or anyone else new to York!)

(34 Posts)
lisaloulou84 Fri 01-Apr-16 19:59:48

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to York (Southbank area) 2 weeks ago from South East London with my hubby and 2 year old little boy and although I'm from here originally I know nobody with kids and I only work 2 days a week - there is potential to go a little stir crazy pretty fast!
I noticed from threads over the past year that there seems to be lots of us moving from London to York and looking for new people to meet up, can I suggest a coffee somewhere with a group of us at some point in the next few weeks?
We can reminisce about always having a Gail's nearby and not needing cash for the bus whilst cheering at the crazy drop in our rent/mortgage :D

MarthaGurney Tue 05-Apr-16 14:27:28

Hi Lisa - we moved to York (Fulford) from north-east London about 5 months ago. I've got a nearly 4yo and twin nearly-2yos. I'm still v homesick for London, so would love a meet-up with other Londoners! X

WildebeestH Tue 05-Apr-16 20:44:46

Yes please! We're right in the midst of moving. DH has started work up here already but we're going to be back and forth a bit over the next month whilst we complete on the sale of our house. We've been in SE London for the last 6 years and were in north London before that, although both of us grew up in York. We have a 5.5 year old and a nearly 3 year old. We had the needing cash on the bus experience today and struggled without a shiny screen telling us what the next stop was going to be. Small things...

MabelAllan Tue 05-Apr-16 22:17:15

Is there anything I can do to help during the move? (I'm MarthaGurney above, but for some reason the app has registered an old and a new username!) Just say if there's anything we can do. Our move ended up being so complicated and stressful - I really hope yours goes more smoothly! Rachel X

lisaloulou84 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:11:09

Ah nice to hear from some people in the same situation! Martha my son is 25 months so very close in age to your twins.
I'm not working many hours at the moment so free a lot in the week, but if anyone wants to suggest good days in the next couple of weeks maybe? And a good meeting spot? I'm quite close to Rowntree Park but haven't ventured to the cafe yet, wondered if that's a good place for mums and kids.
And seconded on the moving help, Wildebeest (our movers from SE London were excellent - I'd definitely recommend them!)

MabelAllan Wed 06-Apr-16 09:49:54

Fab! Our children are at nursery 3 days a week, and I look after them on Tuesdays. But I could meet any day as my work is v flexible. The cafe in Rowntree Pk is nice but quite pricey and has a no-children-on-Wednesdays rule. But it is nice. Other child-friendly options are Trinacria on Bishopthorpe Rd (a friendly Sicilian cafe/restaurant) and we've also started going to Cafe 68 in Cycle Heaven on Hospital Fields Road - the food's lovely and they have a children's table, toys and drawing stuff. You'd also be v welcome to come to ours (we're on Fulford Rd) but we're having major building works done at the moment so be prepared for the dust and noise!

WildebeestH Wed 06-Apr-16 10:18:44

Lisa - please can you let me know the name of the removal company you used?

Rachel - I think we've talked via York Mumblers.

We're lucky to have a lot of family up here which helps although I do feel a bit homeless at the moment. Our sale is due to exchange this week and as soon as it does we'll rent somewhere. We're really struggling to find somewhere we want to buy.

I currently work Mon/Wed/Thu but that's likely to change once we properly move. Why don't you go ahead and arrange something and if I'm around I'll join you.

MabelAllan Wed 06-Apr-16 11:46:59

Most weeks I can do Tuesday after 11am (although the young uns will need to sleep from around 1-3pm), and next week I've got the kids on Weds as well, and we're free all day (except for lunchtime nap time).

lisaloulou84 Wed 06-Apr-16 12:34:00

Wildbeest - they were called core2012, i found them on But they were great, so quick and they disassembled all your furniture and reassembled it at the other end as part of your price! Really reasonable too in comparison to lots of other quotes I found.

lisaloulou84 Wed 06-Apr-16 12:39:20

Wildebeest - Also for renting Citylets were far and away the best agents - I registered with them all but barely heard from any, but they told me about the place we're in before it went on the market and let us in while the builders were still in so we could snag it quick, and their referencing costs included them sorting out the transfer of all your household bills, council tax etc which I've never had before but was really useful when you're so time poor.

lisaloulou84 Wed 06-Apr-16 12:43:07

I'm not around so much next week but how about the tuesday after, the 19th? We could do a post nap coffee/ let the kids wear themselves out before dinner? The cycle heaven cafe looks good - big enough to cope with several toddlers!

MabelAllan Wed 06-Apr-16 15:14:20

Atm Tues 19th sounds good! There's a chance we might have to stay in Leeds with my parents-in-law that week, as the plumbers will be replacing our boiler then - so if we end up without central heating and hot water at home, we'll decamp for a bit. But if you don't mind pencilling in a meet-up, with a risk of a last minute cancellation from me, then that would be great.
We used Essex Removals for our move and thought they were ace - did all our packing for us, were v flexible on dates, brought our sofa out through the window, deconstructed and reconstructed beds etc - all without complaining. We were impressed!

Kareng78 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:56:24

Hi, we recently moved to York with two year old twins. I'd love to meet up sometime for a coffee and a chat

MabelAllan Mon 11-Apr-16 19:38:12

Hi there! We have twins too - girls - they'll be two in June. I'd love to meet more twin parents here! I think Lisa and I (and WildebeestH, if she can make it) are going to meet up next Tues afternoon. Are you able to make that? If not, I'm pretty flexible so just let me know some good times for you. Rachel X

Kareng78 Tue 12-Apr-16 08:08:22

Hi, do you mean Tuesday next week? What time are you meeting in the afternoon? My twins are a boy and a girl. They usually nap in the afternoon but I might be able to make it work it depends on the time xx

lisaloulou84 Tue 12-Apr-16 13:34:02

Hi Kareng,

oh my goodness we're going to be outnumbered by twins! But sounds like they are all quite similar ages which is nice. Tuesday 19th was what we were aiming for and I think if it works for everyone at some point in the afternoon at the cafe at cycle heaven?

Kareng78 Tue 12-Apr-16 14:25:37

Is that in bishopthorpe road? I'd love to come, do you know if it's possible to park nearby? Thanks for the invite xx

lisaloulou84 Tue 12-Apr-16 15:12:33

Hi Kareng,

It's the one on hospital fields rd, it has free parking and a huge cafe with kids area etc!

lisa x

WildebeestH Sun 17-Apr-16 20:24:37

I won't be there on Tuesday I'm afraid but we do finally have a definite moving date of the 6th May so anytime after that and I'll be there.

Kareng78 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:38:08

Sounds perfect, just let me know the time etcsmile thanks x

MabelAllan Mon 18-Apr-16 06:20:43

My younger two will nap to around 3pm, so anytime after 3.30pm is good for me. What time suits you?

lisaloulou84 Mon 18-Apr-16 08:26:02

I'm free as a bird tomorrow so if after 3.30 works for you guys, happy to do that!

Kareng78 Mon 18-Apr-16 09:36:32

That's the same for me, after 3.30 is perfect

MabelAllan Mon 18-Apr-16 14:55:08

Great! Shall we meet in the caff at 3.30pm? The forecast is actually pretty good tomorrow, so we could always head to the park after a cuppa? I'm fairly small, brown hair, three small children, world-weary expression!

Kareng78 Mon 18-Apr-16 15:28:50

Great, I've got long blonde hair and two year old twins, a boy and a girl. I can probably match your world weary expression;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now