Wisbech grew around the original Norman Castle, constructed by William the Conqueror.
The Castle site was subsequently developed by The Bishops of Ely & John Thurloe, Secretary of State to Oliver Cromwell.
The present Regency Villa formed the centre of a major redevelopment of the area in 1816.
The building is owned and operated by Cambridgeshire County Council and used as a Professional Development Centre, providing a venue for meetings and training. The Castle is an ideal location for school visits, with a range of curriculum based learning opportunities on offer.
Paranormal Events are held regularly throughout the year at, what has proved to be, a very active site.
The property is licensed for Civil Weddings (see the Events section), Renewal of Wedding Vows and Naming Ceremonies. The Castle is also available to hire for private functions.
Please login first.