East Approach Drive, Cheltenham, GL52 3JE
Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, 10am - 4pm, (events permitting)
Standing in regal splendour at one end of Pittville Park about two miles from the town centre, the Pump Room is a monument to more than 100 years of fame which Cheltenham enjoyed as a Spa town. The waters were first discovered in around 1715 on a site now occupied by Cheltenham Ladies' College. In 1788 George III and Queen Charlotte came to take the waters and it was their visit that set the seal on Cheltenham's future.
After a visit to Cheltenham, a banker named Joseph Pitt commissioned the architect John Forbes to design a pump room that was to act as the centrepiece to his vision of a town to rival Cheltenham - a town he would call Pittville. The foundation stone was laid on 4 May 1825 and the work completed in 1830.
One major feature of the Pump Room is the Spa Well, the only place to taste the famous Cheltenham Waters.
Times and prices are subject to change. Contact venue before setting out.