Swain's Lane, N6 6PJ
0208 340 1834
£3 (£2 concs); children free
10am-4pm Mon-Fri (last admission 3.30pm); 11am-4pm weekends & bank holidays
Tours £8 (£4 concs).
Highgate Cemetery has been open since 1839, and was built to meet London's lack of burial space at a time of high mortality.
Architect Stephen Geary appointed James Bunstone Bunning as surveyor and David Ramsey, renowned garden designer as the landscape architect.
Unarguably the most famous interment in Highgate Cemetery is in the East Cemetery and is that of the philosopher Karl Marx who died in 1883 and his grave is believed to be amongst the most visited in London.
Over the past 36 years, restoration and conservation work has been carried out on the Egyptian Avenue, Circle of Lebanon and the Terrace Catacombs which, along with over 70 other monuments, have now been listed by English Heritage with over double that number having had expert attention and maintenance.
Both sides of the cemetery remain open as active burial grounds.
Times and prices are subject to change. Contact venue before setting out.