Nuthall Road, Nottingham, NG8 6AF
0115 958 8242
25-Jun-15 to 25-Jun-20
This 2 hectare site is mixed woodland with areas of grassland and scrub.
This woodland reserve is situated in a disused magnesian limestone quarry, which was established in the 15th century. Stone from the quarry was used as a source of local building material and, notably, to repair Trent Bridge in 1458.
Following the quarry's closure around 100 years ago, natural colonisation and succession have resulted in the mixed woodland that dominates the site today.
More than 80 flowering plants have been recorded including seven tree and shrub species and twelve grasses and sedges. Birds include willow tit, wren, greenfinch, bullfinch and song thrush.
The reserve can be approached from Nuthall Road and access gained via Tilbury Rise or from the disused railway line via Broxtowe Lane or Bells Lane. (SK 537433, satnav NG8 6AF).
Times and prices are subject to change. Contact venue before setting out.
Please login first.