Wapping Hydraulic Power Station
Wapping Wall, London, E1W 3ST
020 7680 2080
Mon-Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon to Sat 12pm-10.30pm, Sun 12pm-6pm
The Wapping Hydraulic Power Station (built 1890) was originally run by the London Hydraulic Power Company in Wapping, London, England. Originally it operated using steam and later it was converted to use electricity. It was used to power machinery, including lifts (elevators), across London. The Tower Subway was used to transfer the power, and steam, to districts south of the river.
After its closure as a pumping station in 1977, the building was converted and reopened as an arts centre (the Wapping Project) and restaurant (Wapping Food). Exhibitions are held in the basement and the main ground floor hall houses the restaurant. Some of the original equipment is still in place. The building was designated a grade II listed building in December 1977.
Times and prices are subject to change. Contact venue before setting out.
Please login first.