London Metropolitan University, 25 Old Castle St, Aldgate, London, E1 7NT
020 7320 2222
The Women's Library is the oldest and most extensive collection of women's history in Europe.
It was founded in 1926 as the Library of the London Society for Women's Service (LSWS, later The Fawcett Society).
From 1977 the Library has been part of what is now London Metropolitan University. New purpose-built premises (co-funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund) opened in 2002, comprising a reception and foyer space, reading room, exhibition hall, lecture theatre, office, activity spaces, environmental monitored vaults for the storage of special collections, kitchen and cafe space.
In 2011 The Women's Library was included in the Unesco Memory of the World Register: 'Documentary Heritage of the Women's Suffrage Movement in Britain, 1865-1928' alongside the Parliamentary Archives.
Closed on Sunday
Please login first.