Market Place, Pontefract, WF8 1AU
Pontefract Market hall offers a wide variety of quality goods and is open for trading six days a week.
The 37 units in the market hall are constantly bustling with local residents and visitors to the area wanting to sample some of the areas delights.
The original Market Hall was built as a meat market in 1859 and was opened by Lord Palmerston in 1860. it was a large impressive building as can be seen from old photographs and in evidence of the stone façade, which still stands today. The Market Hall had to be rebuilt following a fire and was reopened in 1957.
The town centre of Pontefract was extensively refurbished during 1999. This work included several buildings one of which was the Market Hall. The Heritage Lottery Fund with English Heritage agreed to the Market Hall façade being restored to its former impressive and imposing status on the Market Street skyline.
Please login first.