Gate Picturehouse

West London

The Gate, Notting Hill, dates from 1861, and was originally the North End and Harvey Dining Room. The upper floors were used as a hotel, but the register shows that on one day alone, the 15 rooms had 150 gentlemen ‘guests'; in fact they were rented by the hour to ladies of dubious repute! Rest assured this lapse of morals is a thing of the past!

In 2003, City Screen (now Picturehouse Cinemas) acquired The Gate, and in 2004 it embarked on a full refurbishment programme for the cinema. The Gate was fitted with state-of-the-art air conditioning, carefully designed to fit within the Grade-II listed plasterwork. The auditorium was fully reseated, with luxury armchair seats with drinks tables, and double love seats at the rear. There were new carpets, the walls and plasterwork were cleaned and repainted, and the new lobby included an integrated bar and Box Office.

Add review