Any Hayes mums?

(18 Posts)
Feellikerubbish Mon 13-Mar-17 10:04:11

We are thinking of moving to Hayes soon and I have posted here a few days ago regarding houses for sale coming on and off and back on market. Some with images of kids bedrooms and as we are moving for schools, was a bit concerned if Hayes school is very good, why are people leaving and houses not selling?

I also looked on Hayes association Facebook page and noticed in 2015 there was lots of mention of burglaries and abti social behaviour and also one of a girl being offered a lift home by a man in a car. Anyone live in Hayes and could tell me what it's like living in Hayes and is crime low or not? On the map, Hayes looks like a small area, where is the antisocial behaviour coming from? Are there any areas we should avoid buying a house?

Any other info about Hayes would be much appreciated. Thank you

nancy75 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:17:34

Hi, I live in shortlands but grew up in Hayes. The secondary school is very good & oversubscribed every year. Like anywhere with a big secondary you do get big groups of kids at the bus stop in Hayes high street at the end of school but it's not a place I would associate with antisocial behaviour!
What roads are you looking at house wise? Some parts are nicer than others

Feellikerubbish Tue 14-Mar-17 10:17:34

Thanks Nancy75. We like The Knoll, Everard Ave and surrounding area. Are there any areas not so nice we should be aware of?

nancy75 Tue 14-Mar-17 13:10:33

Those roads and the roads near them are all nice, the only bit I wouldn't look at is around Chillham Way (off the other side of Bourne Vale)

All of the roads around Husseywell park are nice. You mentioned before that you had heard a lot about burglaries - I don't think Hayes is probably any worse or better than anywhere else for this, all areas seem to go through spates of burglaries - it happened in the roads around my house recently.

What's your budget for a house? I can see one on the Knoll on rightmove - i'm guessing the amount of work is putting people off that one!

Feellikerubbish Tue 14-Mar-17 23:46:59

Our budget is 650. I saw the one on the knoll, it's too much for us with work to do on it too sad

nancy75 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:53:15

Just had a quick look on rightmove - I don't know how big a house you need but I would look at Woolfe Close, Hilldown Road and Hayes wood Ave (under budget but the houses in Hayes Woode Ave are small so might need extending)

All of those 3 are nice roads and are all close enough to get in to good schools (and walk)

nancy75 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:56:24

Actually there are a few more, closer to top of your budget, Hambro Ave, Chatham Ave & Cherry Walk (although that one looks like it has strange shaped rooms!)

LocalShopsForLocalPeople Wed 15-Mar-17 10:11:13

The one in Hambro Ave looks lovely. £670k but worth offering £650k.

Hayes feels very safe. There was one incident last year where some teenagers robbed other young teens in husseywell park at knifepoint. This shocked the local community. There are burglaries now and again, but overall I would say it's a lovely safe place with a village feel. The schools are excellent.

Feellikerubbish Wed 15-Mar-17 23:24:33

Thank you for looking at what's available. We will make an appointment to view some of the houses.

Feellikerubbish Wed 15-Mar-17 23:34:59

There is a house for sale on Dartmouth road. What is it like around there?

nancy75 Thu 16-Mar-17 09:47:41

I don't know that road but looking at the map it's in the bit that I think is the nicer side of Mead Way, it's walking distance to both primary & secondary schools

LocalShopsForLocalPeople Thu 16-Mar-17 13:49:37

Dartmouth Rd is very nice. It's half way between pickhurst and hayes primary schools so you'd get into either. I would check distance from hayes secondary as this year it only went to 0.89 miles.

Feellikerubbish Thu 16-Mar-17 16:12:22

On rightmove it says 0.68 to Hayes secondary. Might be a bit tight then if catchment is getting smaller

nancy75 Thu 16-Mar-17 17:34:22

The distance from the school is fine, it is a big school, I can't imagine catchment t will ever shrink that much.

LocalShopsForLocalPeople Thu 16-Mar-17 18:38:29

Yes 0.68 would be fine. 😊

Feellikerubbish Fri 17-Mar-17 19:55:09

This year catchment is 0.80.

Babyteacher Thu 30-Mar-17 18:49:02

We live in Hayes and have been here for 9 years, all the schools here are good and you can't really go wrong. The walk to the station takes 10 mins and you're in Victoria in 15 mins from Bromely South after a short bus journey. It's a lovely area. We are only a two minute walk from Hayes secondary so never an issue with catchment, but due to a recent change in circumstances we are thinking of moving on and will probably be putting our house on the market. Maybe that is the reason others have their places up for sale. We're just hoping we can find a buyer for ours!

wednesdayrobyn Fri 31-Mar-17 16:46:44

We moved to Hayes a year ago from Beckenham due to the great schools, I cant fault it at all. Its nice and quite but our neighbors are friendly, there isn't much on the high street but Bromley is close if there is something you cant find.

We looked at a property on Everard but got out bid, its a really lovely road. Good luck house hunting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now