Primary Schools BR1

(9 Posts)
ellielou91 Mon 24-Apr-17 11:51:45

Morning!
We are currently living in bromley North (right by station) and are going to be applying for schools this year for my daughter to start Sept 2018. When looking online, there is no clear information of catchment areas and I cannot seem to find much info on admissions.. Our daughter attends a nursery at Bromley South and most children from there go on to these schools....

Ideally we are looking at
1 - Valley Primary
2 - Highfield Primary
3- Harris Academy Shortlands
4 - St Marks Primary

We do rent, however at this moment in time we cannot afford to move, yet we are considering doing so closer to the admissions month (Sept i think) to the Shortlands area if possible!

Any info or opinions on these schools or recommendations of others in the area would be great!

Thanks in advance x

BromleyMama Mon 24-Apr-17 12:05:50

www.schoolcatchment.co.uk

This is useful for looking at past catchment areas.

ellielou91 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:27:09

BromleyMama - I have looked at this but it varies so much every year I was hoping someone who has applied this year could shed some light. Thank you

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 24-Apr-17 13:02:25

It might be worth you also looking into Parish Primary as you might be in catchment for that (when we went for the Open Day the head gave us a very helpful map showing how far offers had gone out the previous year). Also if you look on www.Bromley.gov.uk, they have a leaflet with all the schools listed and the last couple of years' offer distances.

Where you are, you might want to add Scotts Park as that usually offers out fairly far and has increased to 3 form on a permanent basis so may have more room than some on your list.

I think to get Valley, you have to virtually live in the playground - Bromley North station is almost certainly too far away. I don't know about nos. 2 and 4 on your list, but I have a friend with a daughter at the new Harris and they were very happy the last time I saw them.

If you are Catholic you might want to consider St Joseph's on Plaistow Lane. It is a small school but, because it is a faith school, Mass attendance is generally more of an issue than distance and people travel from further than where you live.

Good luck!

ellielou91 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:13:46

Oh really? I was told the Valley catchment isn't too bad for bromley north shock
Most things I've read on Scotts Park haven't been too glowing of a report which kind of put me off a bit.. but guess should go view schools before making judgements xx

nancy75 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:06:41

You won't get Highfield from Bromley N, although my Dd went there and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. I have friends with children at Parish & they love it.

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 25-Apr-17 10:17:02

Scotts Park is up and down I think but friends with children there seem happy enough at the moment (KS1 at the moment admittedly). To be honest, you need a school on your list that has a large catchment area just to be sure you get somewhere. Then you can try for Valley, Parish etc as top choices but keep Scotts Park (or somewhere else - maybe the new Harris) as a safe bet just in case.

As to Valley distances, maybe you are right and it obviously depends on exactly where you live, but I have a friend who lived on one of the roads on the Valley side of London Road and her child didn't get in. Check out the guide on Bromley.gov.uk website. That will give you offer distances for the last couple of years (not the most recent admissions year admittedly).

ejh18 Sat 29-Apr-17 14:19:17

Hi, we're also in Bromley North, not too far from the station, and our eldest in starting primary this September. She has a place at La Fontaine Academy, which is moving to Nightingale Lane. It's not our closest school, but we're delighted that she has a place as we have heard great things about the school and it was our first choice, and it's still a walkable distance. She would also have got a place at Scotts Park (I know someone near Bromley South who has got in), and we would have been happy with a place there too. I've only heard good things about Scotts Park, despite it's Ofstead report, and I think the new head is supposed to be excellent. As the previous RI rating was predominantly for leadership, the change of leadership pretty much meant we disregarded the rating in our decision. I know that the catchment for Bickley primary has also come out to the Bromley North area this year (possibly due to the La Fontaine move), so that could be worth a look.

As has been said, Parish is also a possibility, and St James if you meet the religious requirements. I think we're relatively lucky to have a reasonable choice of the schools in the area. Good luck!

chichibromley Mon 15-May-17 18:58:20

La Fontaine Academy will be in Nightingale Lane in September 2017. You're probably in the catchment. It's a wonderful school! Check out the Open Days when they come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now