Trying to choose between 3 primary schools

(8 Posts)
katherineC10 Tue 21-Feb-17 04:36:38

Hi, we are relocating to Cambridge this weekend from Australia and are looking at moving into a house in Cherry Hinton. We have two kids (6 yrs and 8 yrs) and am trying to decide which school to put first, second and third on our application form to get them enrolled in a local school. Our options are: Cherry Hinton C of E Primary School, Colville or Bewick Bridge. Does anyone have any personal experience of these schools? Thanks!!!

CanadianCanoe Tue 21-Feb-17 10:52:36

Hi - I hope your move goes smoothly! I wonder whether you've phoned the schools and enquired about spaces in the appropriate school years? Your first priority is presumably to get both kids in the same school, so that may restrict your options. Of the schools you've listed I would go for the C of E or Bewick Bridge first. Don't rule out Queen Emma/Queen Edith/Ridgefield depending on exactly where you are and what other logistics you might be coping with (eg for travelling to work etc).

katherineC10 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:19:53

Thanks CanadianCanoe, I have checked all the schools in the local area (incl Queen Emma/Edith and Ridgefield) and these three are the only ones with spaces available! Thanks for your advice - it's so hard to know when you don't know the area/school system and have to choose quickly!

CanadianCanoe Tue 21-Feb-17 11:39:04

In that case you should get where ever is your first choice, unless anyone gets in before you. I don't have personal experience of those schools.
How quickly do you need to get the kids into school? Is it a possibility to organise visits in your first few days here, and see which one feels right?? I think if you were able to do this then it would definitely help with your decision-making.

I don't have personal experience of the schools on your list (though I know second-hand of a few people who were unhappy with Colville), but hopefully someone will come along who does.

CanadianCanoe Tue 21-Feb-17 11:39:46

(apologies for my atrocious editing)

katherineC10 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:12:57

No problem ;)
Thanks again.

mastertomsmum Wed 15-Mar-17 13:56:57

Colville has a deputy head who used to be at our primary. He's great. They have a SENCO speciality which is good for kids to know about and broadens their experience.

Bewick Bridge is very open plan and a nice space. Think they may have had a Yr6 SATs blip last year.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 15-Mar-17 14:03:11

Schools can vary VASTLY. I just don't think you can make that sort of important decision without visiting the school first. You are the most qualified judge of which is the best fit for your child. You won't get the "feel" of the school from paper and other people's reviews. Can it not wait till you're here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now