Any businesses, journalists or researchers looking to post on Local talk must pay a small fee for a pinned thread. On starting a new thread, please make sure you select the 'Pin this thread' option. If you have any questions, please contact your local editor directly or email local@mumsnet.com

Cambridgeshire Mayoral Elections May 2017

(7 Posts)
LocalEditorCambridge Thu 09-Mar-17 10:07:05

On May 8th people across Cambridgeshire will get the chance to vote for the first Mayor for the new Combined Authority for Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.

The decisions this mayor takes will inevitably impact the lives of families across the region - and so we thought it would be helpful to start a thread here to raise awareness of the candidates, their policies and their remit.

Also, if you are interested in asking them anything directly let us know - we could contact the candidates and see if they are interested in joining us for a Mumsnet webchat.

The candidates are:

James Palmer - Conservatives
Julie Howell - Green Party
Rod Cantrill - Lib Dems
Kevin Price - Labour
Paul Bullen - UKIP
Peter Dawe OBE - Indpendent

DorothyParker111 Thu 09-Mar-17 12:18:38

Thank you for starting this thread. Most important thing is that people need to registered to vote! Registration closes on Thursday 13th April: www.cambridge.gov.uk/elections-and-voting

LocalEditorCambridge Thu 09-Mar-17 12:42:23

Thank you! I'll post that on FB too - very good point.

LocalEditorCambridge Thu 09-Mar-17 12:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LocalEditorCambridge Thu 09-Mar-17 13:01:37

I missed English Democrats candidate Stephen Goldspink from my OP

He's on the list & linked in this article

list of Mayoral Candidates

LetMeGo Tue 14-Mar-17 22:33:50

Can anyone explain what the Mayor's powers and remit will be? Thanks!

DorothyParker111 Wed 15-Mar-17 11:56:22

LetMeGo the official answers can be found here: www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/devolution . The honest truth is its a god-awful mess. We will now have the Cambridge City Council, South Cambs District Council, the County Council, the City Deal and the Combined Authority led by the Mayor all eager to assert themselves and get a slice of the action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now