Child cycling on the Shelford to Addenbrookes path in rush hour

(11 Posts)
TheGoodTheDadAndTheUgly Tue 04-Apr-17 22:56:14

I think rush hour is the right expression, as I gather the cycle path (from the level crossing in Great Shelford up to the back of Addenbrookes) is extremely busy in the morning.

So, is it safe or sensible for DS aged 15 to use it to get to school?

He normally gets the bus, but has suddenly developed enthusiasm for sorting out his bike and equipping himself to cycle. The problem is that he is a child who tends not always to be fully aware of his surroundings, and DW is understandably concerned about him crashing into another faster cyclist as DS meanders along (and trust me, given the chance, he could meander).

Has anyone seen people come off their bike on this path?

AllMimsyWereThey Tue 04-Apr-17 23:06:52

It's a very safe cycle path. I've never seen anyone come off their bike, and to be honest even "rush hour" is very light traffic. I'm not a confident cyclist (or fast), but I do this ride regularly and find it easy & convenient.

TheGoodTheDadAndTheUgly Wed 05-Apr-17 11:31:09

OK, thanks for the reply. DW did use it a while ago around 7:30am and said it was alarming how fast some cyclists would zip past her.

ChasingSquirrelsinCambs Wed 05-Apr-17 11:35:41

I think at 15 you need to stop viewing him as a child maybe.
My ds's use this cycle path, although I don't know it as it is when they stay at their dad's house, although only at weekends. But they have been using it as a family since the youngest was 5 or 6.
Could you cycle it at the same time one day to get a feel, or get him cycling it at other times - weekend with you - to get him used to it?

orchardy Wed 05-Apr-17 12:38:56

In the nicest possible way, if he's 15 and not always aware of his surroundings, he probably needs to do some independent cycling in order to develop his abilities! He's not really a child, at 15, so what better way for him to learn than on the relative safety of a cycle path? (And I say this as the permanently anxious parent of a hopelessly vague and day-dreamy DS who still has to be reminded that feet and eyes should point the same way, but even I would let him cycle on a cycle path without me!!)

TheGoodTheDadAndTheUgly Wed 05-Apr-17 12:44:17

Well, technically he is a child as under 18, but I am treating him in an age-appropriate way and at his age I am happy for him to take much of the responsibility, but that doesn't remove my parental concern. I've been on the cycle path at other times, it's really the question of that early morning rush that I am trying to assess.

TheGoodTheDadAndTheUgly Wed 05-Apr-17 12:47:19

orchardy - I agree, and he has been sensibly listening to our suggestions, and has himself suggested that he tries the route at a weekend to see how he copes. I am just trying to assess the risks so I can advise him realistically.

Tingalingle Wed 05-Apr-17 13:02:14

Is he going with the traffic - so towards Addenbrookes in the morning, rather than out of town? If so, as long as he doesn't swerve around too much, he should be fine.

TheGoodTheDadAndTheUgly Wed 05-Apr-17 14:01:03

Yes, towards Addenbrooke's in the morning.

Thanks for the input, everyone, it's good to get some other perspectives.

HereIAm20 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:20:07

He should be fine. Maybe practice while its Easter holidays at the time he would be going as it will be quieter.

Cammumm Sun 16-Apr-17 10:12:07

Dd's friend has been cycling that path to school every day since age 11. There's lots of commuters on it, adults and secondary age kids.

He'll need good lights if coming back in the dark as it's not well lit at night, well not lit at all actually.

But it's a good opportunity to develop cycling skills and general awareness where the worst that's likely to happen is collision with another cyclist - better than hitting a car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now