Primary school admissions

(12 Posts)
MidsummerCommon Tue 18-Apr-17 10:04:44

Hope everyone has got the schools they want this morning. We got our first choice but did expect it (catchment sibling). Will be interested to see how the other schools did as some of the distances for those without siblings get very small.

Snapdrag0n Tue 18-Apr-17 12:49:50

Surprised to see Morley still has places remaining....it's usually massively oversubscribed, must be a first!

rosemarie04 Tue 18-Apr-17 13:38:22

Disappointing, Chesterton primary had the lowest distance, only 0.149 miles.
Does anyone know where I can find the meaning of the allocation criteria. What means "3-others"?
Thanks a lot!

WilderRose Tue 18-Apr-17 14:03:49

Well if you get Shirley Primary instead rosemarie you shall be fine.

MidsummerCommon Tue 18-Apr-17 18:18:34

The council website has the First Steps booklet:

www4.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/info/20059/schools_and_learning/363/applying_for_a_school_place/4

Oversubscription Criteria:
Children who have a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
that names Chesterton Primary School will be admitted. NB: Those children with a statement of special
educations needs or EHCP that does not name the school will be referred to the LA SEN Team to determine
an appropriate place.
Children who have a statement of special educational or an EHCP fall outside the ordinary admissions system
and therefore do not feature within the oversubscription criteria.
Bewick Bridge Primary School  01223 508772
Fulbourn Old Drift, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge, CB1 9ND
The Cherry Hinton C of E Primary School  01223 568834
High Street, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge, CB1 9HH
Chesterton Primary School  01223 728392
Green End Road, Cambridge, CB4 1RW

In the event of a year group being oversubscribed, and after the admission of pupils with a Statement of
Special Educational Needs or an EHCP where the school is named, priority for admission will be given to
those children who meet the criteria set out below, in order:-
A: A ‘looked after child’ or child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after
became subject to an adoption, child arrangements, or special guardianship order. A looked after
child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by
a local authority in the exercise of its social services functions (see definition in section 22(1) of the
Children Act 1989.
B: Children with a sibling attending the school at the time of application who is reasonably expected to
still be attending the school at the proposed time of admission
C: Other children by distance from the school with priority for admission being given to those who live
nearest to the school as measured by a straight line.

glorious Fri 21-Apr-17 13:55:53

We got our first preference but I'm still not sure whether it was the right choice. We would have got whichever we put first which makes me feel even worse. Eugh.

mynameisnt Fri 21-Apr-17 17:30:24

I'm amazed at Morley having places! Both our youngest went there and we had to be on waiting lists to get the places!

CamPoster Fri 21-Apr-17 18:54:33

Morley is about to start redevelopment/extension works I think. Maybe that put people off, in case they are not complete in time ( I'm assuming works to happen in the summer hols).

Snapdrag0n Fri 21-Apr-17 19:29:53

Queen Emma was oversubscribed this year, maybe that was the favoured choice. Still, both seem very good schools either way!

Pocahontas7 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:03:28

Hi, I am about to move to Cambridge so have been paying attention to the reception year admission report. I see that St Matthews reached only 0.365 mile and only for kids with their siblings already inside (Criteria 3?). Does it mean you won't get it even though you are in the catchment area??? Is this normal?

Has anybody applied for or heard of the new Trumpington Park Primary School to start this Sept?

Snapdrag0n Thu 27-Apr-17 12:31:34

Hmmm, I can't seem to access the admission report, however I do know that living within a catchment area does not guarantee you a place at any school unfortunately. Many Cambridge schools are ridiculously oversubscribed.

tensixtyeight Thu 27-Apr-17 22:37:20

St Matthews admitted some in catchment non siblings but certainly didn't get to the edge of its catchment. Last year they admitted some out of catchment non siblings so very variable depending on year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now