South Africa to Cambridge

(8 Posts)
Justcandee Mon 20-Mar-17 12:33:59

Hi ladies,

Please help. We are moving from SA to Cambridge in May this year. I have visited the UK a few years back but only for a few weeks.

From what I have read, Cambourne is a lovely village to settle in due to the good schools, facilities ect and is still easy access to Cambridge, where my husband will be working.

We have 2 young boys (aged 3 and 4).

Can anyone recommend a better area or comment on Cambourne.

Thanks

fenlander Mon 27-Mar-17 10:27:00

Hi Cambourne is more of a small town, but I like it a lot, it is very nice but it is a new town (3 large villages put together). Good schools, facilities etc. Reality it's not that easy to get to Cambridge, the traffic is rotten - it can take an hour to get into the City during rush hour. On the other side you will get more for your money. If you want more of a village village but still plenty of amenities Papworth may be more suitable - literally opposite side of the A428 (one mile from Cambourne). If the commute is key, you need to be closer to Cambridge, but then the house prices go up. Comberton, Hardwick, Coton etc. All the big villages are pretty well served this side of Cambridge, and all the schools are excellent. Good luck with the move.

Justcandee Mon 27-Mar-17 11:03:41

thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated

MrsGrowbag Wed 12-Apr-17 07:08:25

The traffic/commute from Cambourne is no worse than from any other village that far from Cambridge. I live in a village near Cambourne so drive oat it on my way to work every day. I leave the house at 7.15 and am at work in Central Cambridge by 7.45 most days. My husband leaves the house around 8am and it usually takes him 40 minutes to get to work but he works on thd East side of Cambridge do has yo go past on the A14 then head in on the Newmarket Road which us what takes so long.

Cambourne is a great village for young families. We have lots of friends who live there and they all love it.

Justcandee Thu 13-Apr-17 10:56:10

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Starting to get very excited about coming over and really have my heart set on Cambourne.

Hi,
did you find a Camborne house? I've shared this on our Facebook page

Justcandee Tue 18-Apr-17 19:23:16

Hi, no we haven't found a house as yet. I will have to wait until I arrive before i can start looking t

georgienurse Sun 30-Apr-17 20:04:47

Justcandee hi, I live in Somersham, lovely village, my husband goes the back way into Cambridge in the morning and takes him about 30 minutes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now