Moving to St. Ives need local advice on areas to consider

(9 Posts)
twinmummymk Mon 08-May-17 11:40:42

Hi there, my husband and I are planning to move to St. Ives as he's just got a job in Cambridge. As we're not very familiar with the area, I was hoping to get some advice on where is nice, where to avoid, good for school catchments etc.
We have twin girls who are 3 so we will be looking at primary schools for next year.
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance :-)

twinmummymk Mon 08-May-17 12:19:09

BTW our budget is £400k

Hi, I've shared on our Facebook page for you.

Crocvillagemum Mon 15-May-17 20:45:03

Is it just St Ives you're looking at, or surrounding villages too?

twinmummymk Mon 15-May-17 21:27:01

Hi crocvillagemum yes it is. We've narrowed our search down to this area as we liked the look of it and the schools seem good. But just don't have any local knowledge. Thanks

Crocvillagemum Mon 15-May-17 22:05:38

I'm not in St Ives itself so don't have detailed knowledge. But I don't think there are any areas to avoid! All quite nice imo.

dadoneill Thu 25-May-17 21:36:15

My wife and I moved up to St Ives last July with our 9 month old son. I work full time in Cambridge (off Madingley Road) and my wife works from home two days a week (but occasionally has to travel for the day - London, or other cities). St Ives is nice, and I'd say there aren't any dodgy areas!

However, I'd question your husband's commute to Cambridge. It depends on where he'll be working, but it can be a right pain at the moment. I cycle 2-3 times a week now the weather is clement, and drive the rest. Cycling takes ~60 minutes plus a shower (each way), and driving is normally 50 minutes of sitting in traffic (maybe a bit less in the afternoon). It's painfully slow to get out of St Ives because there's a single road everybody has to take to get to the A14 due to the river, the A14 is slow because it's always slow and because there are roadworks for the next 3 years, and getting into Cambridge is slow because it's old and not built for cars. The bus is OK, depending on where in Cambridge you're going. If you want to go at rush hour, then as soon as the bus leaves the guided busway, it's just in regular traffic and not very fast.

We're currently looking for a house somewhere closer to Cambridge. We'd love to live in Cambridge, but the houses are either too expensive or in... let's say 'not well reviewed' areas. Cambourne is enough closer that I could cycle most days, and have a lot less traffic to worry about (although still a fair bit). There are also lots of villages that are closer, but most of them are too small to have much in them - the most any have is a few shops and a pub - so you'd need to drive a lot just for day-to-day chores.

Don't mean to be a downer! St Ives really is really rather nice, and we've found lots going on (over time) for our now 1.5 year old. I just don't want your husband to get as riled at the commute as I do. It doesn't help that my previous commute was a 15 minute walk through a park...

twinmummymk Thu 25-May-17 22:22:02

Hi dadoneill thank you so much for the info that's really useful. My husband will be working at the Business Park and has also looked into cycling, Google reckons it will take around 40mins. We've experienced the same issues when looking at villages closer, either they are too expensive or don't match our criteria. We found St Ives a good balance between affordability and a nice vibe but commute is very important, however for his previous role he was travelling an hour each way so anything less than that is a bonus. It's alarming to hear such a short journey could take 50mins in the car so it kind of rules that option out I would say. All good points that I'll pass on to him so we shall see whether we end up there 😀 thanks again for all the info.

twinmummymk Thu 25-May-17 22:22:23

Oh and good luck with your new house search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now