Honest opinions about living/bringing up family in Macclesfield

(6 Posts)
raf79 Wed 04-Jan-17 10:38:15

Hello! We're thinking of moving to Macc, where my husband is originally from. I'm all for it, but a bit nervous about whether or not I will definitely enjoy living there. I have visited often enough and like what I see, but it's difficult to get a proper insight that way. If you live in Macc or nearby, what do you like about it? Is it a good place to bring up children (we have a 5 year old and 16 month old)? What are good family activities? What's the arts scene like (live music, local art)? Good restaurants? How good is Manchester for days out with the kids/nights out without them?

Thanks so much!

CheshireEditor Sat 07-Jan-17 16:17:08

Hi there and thanks for your message! I will tweet this our for you and put it in our Facebook page so you can get some help. I had my second son at Macc Hospital - they were briliant. We quite often walk in Teggs Nose, Shuttlingsloe. I'm in Knutsford and we do go out in Manchester ,a cab home is about £30 and would be more to Macc. Tytherington is a great place to live, as are the surrounding villages such as Bollington. There is s thread further down about Macc, will see if I can find it.
Cheshire Ed

raf79 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:26:48

Thank you!

Nancyontopofhill Wed 25-Jan-17 08:49:17

Macclesfield is alright. I've lived here for 18 years now and have 2 children who are now teens.
It's a funny little place!
It has some areas and estates where people really struggle and then there is quite a lot of wealth too. ( haha! Just described pretty much everywhere on earth there!smile)
Then we have the amazing hills and peaks on our doorstep.. you can leave your house and walk to them. The views are stunning.
I moved from the South East and the biggest shock for me was the weather! It can take getting used to. It rains here a lot a lot ( so much!) .. and it's usually at school pick up time!
I didn't find people here as friendly as I'd been lead to believe if I'm honest ( that famous northern friendlinesshmm) and it took a while to settle but it was made easier because I had a little one so there were tot groups to meet people. My friends now are maxonians born and bred and also incomers like myself... so you get there in the end smile
It's a small town so a lot of people you meet will know other people you know.
There is plenty to do with small kids ( museum craft days/ library/ leisure centre /mums and tot groups/parks etc) but it's a bit thin on the ground for secondary age children.
We go into Manchester a lot. Youngest teen just starting to do that by herself ( with friends ) now. Train link to Manchester / London is fab
We sometimes go down to London (2 hour train to Euston from Macc) for the day and do museums/ sightseeing.
The Town centre is hanging on by the skin of its teeth and there are a lot of empty shops but it looks slightly more promising as a new development is taking place and there are quite a few independent businesses that do ok. There are lots of nice places to eat.
There is a award winning monthly 'treacle market' which is great and seems to get bigger every month.
Every 2 years there is the Barnaby Festival which is Arts/music/Community Events/ Street Entertainment. Barnaby is pretty cool.
On the whole, the schools are good at both primary and secondary level. Macc doesn't know how lucky it is in terms of state schools tbh. However, the government's new funding cuts for Cheshire east schools will hit hard.

It also has 2 private schools. Beech Hall and Kings... can't comment have no experience .
If I could choose a place to live, I'd probably pick top end of Buxton road ( near hills) or Ivy road/ Park lane / Town centre or possibly out towards Henbury.
Hope that helps!smile

Nancyontopofhill Wed 25-Jan-17 09:12:05

Meant to say.. feel free to ask if you have more questions smile

danikagrace Fri 17-Mar-17 15:42:57

@raf79 did you make the move? We came to nearby Bollington 3 years ago and we love it. The schools are great and people very friendly. There's sooo much to get involved in for babies, children of all ages, and adults and there are often lovely local events on. Lots of opportunities to get involved in the local community too. Big choice of lovely places to eat and drink and beautiful countryside walks. We only planned to stay for a year but now plan to stay permanently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now