Moving to Poole

(18 Posts)
Rania1712 Tue 23-May-17 10:33:40

Hi all,my husband was offered a job in Poole hospital so we should move to Poole this summer.My biggest concern is school,we have 3kids age 11,8 and 6, they are in a great catholic school here in Manchester and dreading the move. I tried searching online for the good areas to rent and great schools but couldn't reach anything useful,haven't been there before and don't know from where to startπŸ˜” Really need your help ,we'll rent a house according to the school ,my oldest will start secondary school ,so I need both primary and secondary. Can you please give me advice on best schools in Poole,Bournemouth or Christchurch and good areas to rent a house. Any advice will be really appreciated.TIA

coffeeisnectar Tue 23-May-17 11:55:39

What sort of budget are you looking at for renting?

I would rule out christchurch as it's a bloody nightmare of a commute to Poole. Also the run from Bournemouth to Poole in rush hour will take over an hour. Look at surrounding areas of Poole such as Broadstone, Corfe Mullen, Wimborne.

I live in Broadstone, it's a small village type place, about 10 mins drive from Poole. Outstanding schools and two grammar schools close by as well. It's a very nice, quiet place here but loads to do in terms of activities for the kids, swimming pool, youth clubs.

Search Broadstone first school, Springdale first school and Broadstone Middle school which all of your children would go to in this area. Secondary schools start at 13 here and there is Corfe Hills and further out is Queen Elizabeth school in wimborne.

I am loathe to recommend any of the Poole schools as don't really know them too well but they are start at age 11.

Are you kids boys or girls? What sort of things do they like doing?

There is so much for them to do here, lots of water based activities, kayaking, swimming, sailing, surfing. We moved from Glasgow five years ago when my dc were 13 and 6 and despite their reservations, they have absolutely thrived here.

FauxFox Tue 23-May-17 12:09:05

Poole is lovely! I live near the hospital and Parkstone especially Lower Parkstone is a really great place to live in a mid-price bracket (for the area). Schools wise Baden Powell is a fantastic school for your younger two - my kids finished there last summer and I have nothing but good things to say. Your older one must be in Y6 or Y7? So secondary next Sept? Really recommend St Edwards - it's catholic and smaller than Poole High and imo more supportive and friendlier. My daughter is there in Y7 and will be Y8 next Sept, PM me if you want any more info or if your oldest does get into St Eds and fancies a meet up in the summer so he/she knows a face or two when he/she starts. Good Luck!

Rania1712 Tue 23-May-17 12:58:55

Thank you for your advice,really appreciate it! My oldest is a boy,will be in year 7 and my younger two are girls will be in year 2 and year 5. They are all so sad to leave their friends and school. I am encouraging them that it will be great and they ll make new friends. Need to apply for them in the schools as soon as possible. @FauxFox, that would be great,thank you! Xx

FauxFox Tue 23-May-17 13:52:11

Ah I think Baden Powell is Y3-Y6 so if your youngest is going into Y2 you could look at Lilliput (excellent - my kids went there) or Courthill (closer to BP for school runs and also excellent - know loads of people who loved it there).

TableTableReview Tue 23-May-17 16:30:10

It's quite possible those schools will be oversubscribed though - you need to contact the Lea to find out which schools have places and then choose.

max123456 Wed 24-May-17 07:50:58

St Peters in Bournemouth is also Catholic I think?

FauxFox Wed 24-May-17 07:57:43

The schools I've mentioned are oversubscribed but I'd imagine joining at an 'unusual' year (Y2 or Y5) you could well get lucky - I'd be more worried about the Y7 entry... call the Council asap to find out what you need to do... 😊

Rania1712 Wed 24-May-17 09:42:33

Thank you!...will do this. Xx

Voyage Wed 24-May-17 09:53:23

You can look on Poole's website to see the admissions data for the secondary school allocations for this septembers year 7.
I can recommend Carter School for your eldest. It might not look great atm but it is rising fast and I predict it will be brilliant very soon. I intend to send my boys there when they're older.
Hamworthy isn't too bad to live in but there is a lifting bridge which can cause traffic problems. We're in Upton which is really nice, but if you're thinking about grammar for your girls, then check you're in the Borough of Poole to make it easier to get in. We're 3 houses from the borough border and only just got my daughter into Parkstone grammar.
Happy to answer any questions about areas as I worked as a postman for years and know most of Poole, hamworthy and Upton.

TableTableReview Wed 24-May-17 10:05:40

Let us know which schools have spaces and we might be able to share thoughts, or ideas about commuting to Poole hospital.

awishes Wed 24-May-17 19:14:47

St Joseph's and st Mary's are the catholic primaries in Poole years R-6.
Both nice schools!
Poole is lovely

Rania1712 Thu 25-May-17 09:24:22

Thank you all for your help and your support,it made a huge difference! Xx

Rania1712 Tue 30-May-17 16:26:16

Hi all,I called the school admission and the secondary schools that have places are St.Aldham's ,Carter and Poole high...I am still going to write st.Edwards as my first choice ,hoping that a family is moving from Poole like we are from Manchester but I need your advice on which ones should I write as my second and third choice? Thank you so so much! Xx

TableTableReview Tue 30-May-17 18:21:48

I'd probably choose Poole high out of the 3... Are they the only ones with spaces? You could still stay on the waiting list for St Edwards. Or do Broadstone middle /wait for the senior schools their that start in year 9.

What about the junior schools?

TableTableReview Tue 30-May-17 18:22:13

Can you visit and see which you like best?

awishes Tue 30-May-17 20:33:37

Poole high
Waiting list for St Edwards
Best bet!
Good luck πŸ’

FauxFox Wed 31-May-17 06:50:27

Agree with Awishes I know quite a few peeps at Poole High who are getting on great - it wasn't right for my son but he has SEN so that's a whole different ballgame smile the other two schools you mention used to be quite bad but are supposed to be much better now, I don't have any direct experience though.
Also, location wise, Poole High is very near the hospital etc so might be more convenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now