Where should we live?

(5 Posts)
AmaiShingai Thu 02-Feb-17 10:14:10

Hello...
I have a new job in Hastings starting in September (which is exciting). Could any local parents give us some advice as to where in East Sussex (within 30 minutes drive from north Hastings ideally) is a great place to live with a young family? We are looking for access to good schools, activites for children and a good sense of community ...diversity would also be a bonus. I guess this is what everyone is after, so expert advice from the locals would be much appreciated.
Merci,
Bea

oliphanticus Sun 12-Mar-17 13:49:19

I live in St Leonards-on-Sea, which is pretty diverse and very-up-and- coming. My children go to Claremont, which is fee paying (but not massively expensive) and they serve plenty of after school activities to wear my little ones out on a daily basis! Hastings and St Leonards are definitely worth a look and lots cheaper than going north towards Tunbridge wells, which is lovely but expensive. Good luck with your new job - what are you going to do? I'm sure you will like it here...

AmaiShingai Tue 14-Mar-17 10:39:45

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. The job is at Ark William Parker secondary school ...I am really looking forward to it. And we have actually already signed our son up for Claremont nursery (as it is five minutes from the school!)

In terms of Hastings, what do you like about it? Is it a friendly place? Are there any areas which you think are particularly friendly/safe/child friendly/green..? How are newcomers received!?

I also hear that Ark Blacklands primary school is very good. Do you know how catchment areas work in the town?

Thanks so much for your help!

oliphanticus Sat 18-Mar-17 14:37:49

Well Ark William Parker is really near Alexandra Park, which is a big, beautiful park, with playgrounds and a great cafe! I would love to live there in one of the old houses on Park Road or Lower Park road, or there are newer houses right by Parker school itself. Of course, the beach is beautiful and has a playground/trampolines (our favourite) and a million fish and chip shops! Until you have looked around, or if you actually like commuting up and down the A21 sad I would really look at living in Hastings or St Leonards. We love it here. Anywhere further north is more expensive and you won't get as much house for your money.
Blacklands is on the up - it has a good reputation now, but didn't have in the past. And you will love Claremont nursery! It is Ofsted outstanding rated, with good reason. Our little one is a Hedgehog (aged 2) and our bigger one is in year 1 (aged 5.)
I'll keep checking your messages in case there is anything else you want to know - you must have a million questions! Claremont parents are a diverse bunch, all really friendly (most of my friends are through school.) There are areas you wouldn't want to walk around at night in St Leonards, but I'm sure that's true anywhere.

AmaiShingai Tue 18-Apr-17 21:13:37

Hello!

I wonder if I can trouble you with another question. So, on our search for somewhere to live we have been quite taken with the town of Uckfield. It seemed friendly, close to lots of beautiful and fun things for kids to do and all the surrounding primary schools are good. Do you think Hastings can rival this?

Whilst I am keen to consider Hastings, my husband is sceptical and needs convincing. Can you offer any insight or advice that might be able to change his mind?

Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now