Any businesses, journalists or researchers looking to post on Local talk must pay a small fee for a pinned thread. On starting a new thread, please make sure you select the 'Pin this thread' option. If you have any questions, please contact your local editor directly or email local@mumsnet.com

Dalmeny Help

(10 Posts)
Orca46 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:33:23

Hi

We are looking at the new builds in Dalmeny Park- the catchment school Queensferry Primary is full until p4..so my little ones would go to Dalmeny Primary

...anyone have any experience or advice re Dalmeny school?

Many thanks!

GrooveeCar Fri 17-Mar-17 10:17:28

It's a lovely little School. Quite a low staff turnover and the staff are lovely and know all the children.

Orca46 Fri 17-Mar-17 11:08:41

Oh that's good to know thanks so much.

The inspection report was certainly very good.

Any idea why it's undersubscribed whereas queensferry has waiting lists?

Groovee Fri 17-Mar-17 11:51:41

I think the number of houses being built doesn't help as they fall in the Queensferry catchment which was already a big school. It's a bit out of the way and most parents do travel by car to Dalmeny. The bus stop is only a short walk but not sure how regular the bus service is.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 17-Mar-17 14:25:49

Queensferry has waiting lists because they've built thousands of new houses - it's not a case that one is better than the other, it's more that the Queensferry catchment has expanded enormously in the past year/18 months.

I'm actually surprised to hear Dalmeny has places - it's a tiny school. Composites all the way through which not everyone likes, we've never had an issue with that though.

There's also St Margarets, which is next to Queensferry if it's location that's concerning you? It's Catholic though.

Orca46 Fri 17-Mar-17 15:49:49

Yeah I imagine queensferry school have been put under quite a bit of pressure with all the new houses!

That's great advice and information thanks so much!

Off to visit the school next week :-)

badguider Fri 17-Mar-17 21:25:25

Dalmeny is a lovely little school, the only problem anyone could have with it would be that it is very small.

The new builds you mention are very much in south queensferry though not dalmeny so you will be "going to school in the next village". That's not so common in Scotland so you might get a few questions, people you meet at the school (other parents) will be surprised you don't actually live in dalmeny and people who live around you in Scotstoun will expect you to use queensferry primary. This will only be an issue if you're looking for after school club or a local childminder who picks up. The back walking route from scotstoun to dalmeny is dark in winter.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 18-Mar-17 13:00:30

The back walking route from scotstoun to dalmeny is dark in winter.

The dark entrance is no more badguider. Shiny new paths - with lights - abound!

Orca46 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:15:44

Thanks all! Does anyone have any thoughts re the high school in south queensferry?- I know it's getting re build. I just wonder why with all the lovely Primarys have great inspections - why they aren't further up the exam results table..we are also thinking of Kinross which has dobe much better..? smile

Orca46 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:16:33

Sorry for typos- Monday morning! Ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now