Summer Program Advice

(13 Posts)
EmJRoll Sat 25-Mar-17 20:40:19

Hello! We are moving to Edinburgh this summer from the US with our 8 and 4 1/2-year old kids. I have signed the 8 year old up for a camp at Dynamic Earth and now am looking for a full and half day programs. Any advice? Neither of them are particularly sporty. I'm looking at OSCARS - Blackhall and SocialBall. We won't have a car so it's a bit of a trek out to Hermitage and Blackhall but are happy to do it if people think they're good (enough) program.

THank you!

chemenger Sun 26-Mar-17 11:30:51

The zoo runs summer camps, but they book up very early. Should be on the website.

3nationedinburgh Sun 26-Mar-17 13:22:29

Edinburgh leisure run camps at various places around the city , a mixture of activities not just sports www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/assets/contentfiles/pdf/RCP_HolidayClub_Web.pdf

Buckeyedjim Sun 26-Mar-17 14:27:04

It's hard to find things for preschool kids. Edinburgh leisure take them from primary one only.
Some, like Oscars, are set up more for holiday childcare. Others only run for a few hours and are more about doing a particular sport.

Starfish347 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:14:07

second Edinburgh Leisure - there are spome dedicated sports sessions, but general activity based one too.

Also check our Drama Studio Edinburgh, they run 3 weeks of holiday clubs, based in Liberton (south of the city, on no 31 bus route) and Wardie (north of the city, various buses....not sure which!). They do half and full days (althoughj I think you have to commit to the week rather than drop in and out) They prob wont take the 4.5 yo though. We use this and I thoroughly recommend it, it's very inclusive and you don't have to be 'dramatic' to enjoy it.

Try also DanceBase (city centre, Grassmarket) as they run summer courses, i think they do circus skills!?

EmJRoll Mon 27-Mar-17 17:55:07

Thanks for the recommendations! The Dance camp looks wonderful. The Zoo camps are full already (!). I will look into Oscars for the littler one.

Has anyone enjoyed a holiday program for a pre-schooler (soon-to-be P1-er)?

auchinlay Mon 27-Mar-17 20:06:19

Do you need a full-day to cover work? For an under 5 not yet in P1 there won't be much at all (anything?). I think Oscars/ Edinburgh Leisure and the other main ones only take children once they're in P1 (though might be worth asking, especially if they're over 5). If anyone has any experiences of holiday clubs that take under 5s please correct me, I'd be interested in this too!

EmJRoll Mon 27-Mar-17 20:53:13

Luckily, I do not need a full day to cover work at this time. I am working remotely and can get my work done at a cafe nearby in 2-3 hours so I just need a half a day.

Buckeyedjim Mon 27-Mar-17 21:51:22

A-star sports take children from 3+ and are running Easter camps so I assume will do summer ones too. My dcs did this but as a weekly thing not a summer camp.

EmJRoll Mon 27-Mar-17 22:45:49

A-star looks excellent for the 4 1/2 year old. I signed up for their Facebook feed so will hopefully see when they release their summer schedule.

LilyDa Tue 28-Mar-17 13:12:15

www.parliament.scot/visitandlearn/12522.aspx
This crèche might be an option for some days you need to get work done? AFAIK you need to be on site but could settle in the cafe for a few hours with the laptop?

Daddydaycareedinburgh Fri 14-Apr-17 18:42:27

You are probably all sorted by now but just for future reference Daddy Daycare provides holiday clubs for ages 3+ on Inverleith Row from 8am till 6pm. The holiday camp is very active, takes the children out every day. Previous schedules have included Dalkieth country park, survival skills at the Water of Leith, Arthurs seat, Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh Zoo, the beach, cramond island and more. Prices include transport, entry fees and snacks so you only provide a pack lunch.
This years 4wk summer camp starts on the 17th July. One of the few places that care for pre school and school aged children all day.
www.daddydaycareedinburgh.com

Buckeyedjim Fri 14-Apr-17 18:58:28

Hi DDC, do you take children for ad hoc days (assuming you have room) or just for weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now