Shoeburyness - the truth

(15 Posts)
highinthesky Mon 07-Nov-16 11:14:05

I'm looking to move back to Thorpe Bay but realistically this will be close to Maplin Way, to the south of the rail line. The area is nice but my one concern is primary schools - looks like Thorpedene is the most likely.

It's been a long time since I lived in the area - we're going back nearly 20 years! - but Shoeburyness had a bad, bad reputation then. Delaware, Caulfield, West Roads, Painters Estate etc were full of social problems. Has anything changed? Can I rest easy if DS attends Thorpedene? Have to think of his safety first.

Also any recommendations for builders would be gratefully received.

dilemmax2 Wed 16-Nov-16 08:54:31

I live the other side of Southend so not overly familiar with the good and not so good bits of Shoebury. I know the Garrison area is very nice and they have built a new school there which has the same name of a previous school in Shoebury - Hinguar.

I don't know anything about Thorpedene School as I don't know anyone's children who attend there although my dc's school does have their old head teacher now.

I believe the area has improved greatly and Shoebury High School gets roughly the same GCSE results as Belfairs, which has now become a good school.

highinthesky Wed 16-Nov-16 12:10:32

Thanks dilemmax2. The Garrison side of Shoeburyness is nice enough, but a non-starter for me as just too far out and I need to be closer to a station.

I took a walk around the west side of Shoebury borderingbon Maplin Way - Delaware Rd, Caulfield Rd etc and it's a bit of a mixed bag. If the stories in The Echo are to be believed the area best approached with caution.

dilemmax2 Sat 19-Nov-16 14:17:10

Forgot to add we have a really good builder who's done an kitchen/diner knock through for us and various other bits around the house, he was recommended by our neighbour and has done work there too.

If you'd like his number I can pm it to you.

highinthesky Wed 23-Nov-16 10:22:46

Hi dilemmax2 - yes I would be very interested in the details of a good and reliable builder if you could share with me! Thanks

henriettascat Sat 18-Feb-17 21:35:29

I've moved to the area recently. Dc was an in year transfer and the nearest space was Thorpedene. What I've seen so far - I wouldn't recommend.

Depends on your expectations compared to your last school.

Dc also doesn't rate it but feels stuck there now.

highinthesky Sun 19-Feb-17 10:33:34

Thanks for posting henriettascat.

What you say about Thorpedene doesn't surprise me at all. Unfortunately demand for Bournes Green far outstrips the number of places, if you're outside of catchment there is zero chance of getting in.

Luckily secondary school options in Southend are much better than for primary.

henriettascat Sun 19-Feb-17 21:20:51

Well, did you move back?

Not that fussed about secondary options either. Unless you want to do the 11 plus (we didn't as our entire family took ages to settle), or you can 'prove' you're a catholic, there is almost nothing.

We looking to return to London.

highinthesky Mon 20-Feb-17 03:27:54

I haven't yet sad((

At the time of posting last year, I'd found a property I loved but needed mucho work, but lost out to another buyer. In retrospect a good thing as it would have put LO in Thorpedene catchment. So still looking but the market hasn't picked up yet. Spring may yield hope.

Don't discount the 11+ if it's still an option, local grammars are excellent but not enough local children are taking up places.

henriettascat Mon 20-Feb-17 12:01:55

Oh no! I hope you find somewhere soon that you love. What a bummer, I'd love a shell property that I could slowly make my own. Best of luck to you.

When I was moving I called the council regularly and the only two schools without waiting lists were hamstel and thorpedene. Thorpedene was nearer and had small class sizes. I figured dc would settle in better given his age. I could have forced dc into bournes green but, quite honestly, we were exhausted and shell shocked. Plus dc is older and will start secondary in sept so figured it didn't really matter which primary at that late stage.

Didn't put dc in for 11+ as this move was was due to a sad situation and we sort of had to move here (cheaper). Dc was distressed and still misses his old life. It took ages to settle in on the most basic level, and were still in that process. Also his school has not been helpful. School is constant disruption. Teachers nice but they have much to deal with.

Re shoebury- wherever you end up, it's all southend so you cannot really avoid social problems - it's a bit ghetto and quite aggressive and if you haven't lived here for years (I left here over 30 years ago) you might need time to adjust.

Ensure you're in bournes green catchment and keep calling council (if in year transfer).

I hope this is your year and you get the home you adore.

dilemmax2 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:26:38

Henrietta are your dc at Shoebury High? Was/am looking at a property with that catchment school and wanted to know if it's any good, results seem fine but wanted to know more about the stuff Ofsted don't tell you!

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 00:32:09

Thanks henriettascat.

Dilemmax2 - I was lead to believe that Shoebury HS is good but there was an article in The Echo last week about a 10yo being assaulted in the vicinity after school. His grandmother seems to think the thugs behind it attend Thorpedene.

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 00:32:47

Sorry, Shoebury High! Seem to have Thorpedene on the brain blush

kittyhello Wed 15-Mar-17 06:06:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

henriettascat Sun 23-Apr-17 21:28:21

Oh ds has place at shoebury - starts in sept. Ds is pleased. I was impressed when we visited but it depends what you want.

I think it will suit ds here (but not where we came from). Seems as multicultural as sfend can be and appears inclusive. I think it's the best school for him in this area.

You might want put your dc for grammar if the timing is right.

But southend is in se Essex and can be rough whichever school you go to.

I'm sure you'll find the right route for your family. Best of luck with your move.

Ofsed btw is only a guideline. My ds last school has the same ofsted rating as his current school and you can't begin to.compare them on any level at all. They may do it on area and demographic so it's all relative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now